Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Hub Interchangebility
Want to upgrade the hubs on my 2009 Cannondale Comfort. 26x2.0 wheels.
I have V-brake hubs now. Only problem I see is all the new hubs I looked at are disc brake style. Can I still use the disc brake style hubs with my V-brake setup? The current hubs are Cannondale Earth hubs. I am looking for strength and durability in the new hubs. Love to have some Phil Wood hubs but they are too expensive (but they are made in America).
Yes you can, you'll just have unused disc rotor tabs, assuming you're not putting disc brakes on. Just make sure you put the right data into a spoke calculator to get the length right. However bear in mind it is often cheaper just to buy a new complete wheel (wasteful and depressing really)

As for hubs, it doesn't make a huge amount of difference how strong the hub shell is. I ride a lot of Downhill MTB and hub failure is not that common, and people use everything from cheap and cheerful to Chris King. What you want instead is a good bearing system that lasts, ideally cartridge as they're replaceable and prolong the life of your hub. I don't know much about roadie hubs, though in my experience the Mavic MTB ones aren't bad, and Richey hubs have a good sealed bearing system. The preferred hub choice over here is Hope, but I don't think you can buy them outside the UK.
(05-08-2011, 10:32 AM)rprough Wrote:  Want to upgrade the hubs ......
Why?

What do you expect from the replacement hubs that a quick clean and rebuild to your present hubs will accomplish?
Nigel
(05-08-2011, 01:27 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  
(05-08-2011, 10:32 AM)rprough Wrote:  Want to upgrade the hubs ......
Why?

What do you expect from the replacement hubs that a quick clean and rebuild to your present hubs will accomplish?

I am looking for strength and durability in the new hubs. Probably durability as most important. If the current hubs will be ok then I will just rebuild them.
There is not much difference in hub durability between hubs.

Rebuild what you got, and spend your money on something else.
Nigel