Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

My blue SR Sierra Sport
I am starting this one over in a more appropriate category.

Quote:I purchased the frame off eBay in September. It is (supposedly) mid 80's vintage, medium high end based on the rear derailluer hanger and rear axle positioning screws. It has a Cro-Mo frame (Tange straight gauge tubing).

So far, I have rebuilt the BB with loose balls and new axle. Put the headset back together will loose balls on the bottom, still has ball in retainer at the top (ran out of balls). I have cranks from a junker, cleaner up, with FSA 53/39 rings. The brakes are Avid SD 5.

This weekend I am building the wheels: Shimano 7 speed freehub and Tiagra HB 4500 front hub, Wheelsmith SS14 spokes, Sun M14A 36H 650c rims. When I bought it, I was under the impression that standard 26" (ISO 559) would fit, but 559 rims do not line up with the brake pads (or even close). Amazon (Niagara) had some 36H M14A 650c (ISO 571) rims for a very nice price .

The cassette is a SRAM PG730 7 speed 12-32T. Shimano Sora FD3400 front derailluer (Craigslist find). Sunrace M50 rear derailluer

Hopefully this project will be completed in May. Some pictures:

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb8/dianemisso/Nigels%20Wheels%20042311%20A/Nigels%20Wheels%20042311%20B/Nigels%20Wheels%20042311%20C/
http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb8/dianemisso/Nigels%20Wheels%20042311%20A/Nigels%20Wheels%20042311%20B/

Well; I have had some set backs.

The 650c tires are just too narrow for me; I am a big guy and 23mm wide tires just are not going to cut it - learned that on the tandem we bought a couple of weeks ago.

Further measuring suggests the frame was originally equipped with ISO 590 wheels (26 x 1 3/8). So the now built 650c wheels will be sold. They built up very nicely. I will put them on the for sale section in about a month when I get back from my next two trips.

Sun offers the CR18 rim in 590 size in 32H, 36H, 40H. Kenda offers some 90 psi tires to fit. I also have a 13-23T seven speed freewheel on the way, and am working on a Shimano RD-2200 derailleur.

I really do not have good initial impressions of the Sun M50 rear derailleur; it used thread forming screws in to the plastic case for the stop adjustments.

Just got a set of MKS Sylvan Touring Pedals for it - I like them alot. Smile

Here are some pictures with the 571 (650c) wheels:
http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb8/dianemisso/Blue%20110508/
Nigel
VERY NICE RIDE NIGEL!!!
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Update:

I found some 28-571 tires
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/tires/571.html
http://www.terrybicycles.com/Accessories/tires-tubes-1/tellus-pt-tire-x-c-
so I am going to keep the 571 wheels I built for this bike. Smile

The only other thing I still need to get are fenders. Like my red bike, I am going to go with SKS Commuter Fenders, 45mm wide in silver:
http://www.amazon.com/SKS-Commuter-Bicycle-Fender-Trekking/dp/B000X5ZL2Y/

The RD-2200 derailleur arrived, and looks great Smile

If all goes well; the bike will be finished in June.
Nigel
Nigel - I simply can not wait until June. That is 2 weeks away. Please concert your efforts! Smile
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
Tires:40-65 PSI, Nylon, 26x2.10 tires
Gears: Shimano Altus with a Shimano Super Low 14-34T Mega Range
Pedals: I use SR Suntour pedals, as they are pure metal and have been working for 2+ years
Frame: 4130 Custom Lightweight Steel Tubing
Stanchious: 28.4mm

And i would go with a Preload Adjust

(will post pictures later)
Had another set back, the Avid SD V-brakes went to the tandem.....

I am debating using a chrome fork that I have instead of the original, and going with dual pivots instead of V-brakes.
Had another set back, the Avid SD V-brakes went to the tandem.....

I am debating using a chrome fork that I have instead of the original, and going with dual pivots instead of V-brakes.
Nigel
Latest updates. This project has been a bit more than anticipated.

ordered today:
TellusTire 650cx28 w/Puncture Protection Black
http://www.outsideoutfitters.com/ps-19942-1086-terry-tellus-650c-tires.aspx

still to be ordered:
Sunlite Rain Shield Fenders - 1 Pair, 45mm Hybrid, Silver
http://www.amazon.com/Sunlite-Rain-Shield-Fenders-Hybrid/dp/B003LRBKP8/

Mirrycle MTB Bar End Mountain Bicycle Mirror
http://www.amazon.com/Mirrycle-MTB-Mountain-Bicycle-Mirror/dp/B0009R96YK/

Sunlite TCO Piston Quill Stem - 250 x 40 x 1 (22.2), Silver
http://www.amazon.com/Sunlite-TCO-Piston-Quill-Stem/dp/B003CO9E94/

Kalloy Uno Seat Post black 26.6 350mm
http://www.amazon.com/Kalloy-Laprade-350mm-26-6x350mm-seatpost/dp/B001F31DWK/

Avid VIA Front Or Rear Rim Brake (2x)
http://www.amazon.com/Avid-VIA-Front-Rear-Brake/dp/B003WO9GRE/

The 571 wheels are going on the bike Smile. The original blue fork stays also. The fenders will be dropped close to the tires. This project may stretch into July......

Various components originally purchased for the blue bike ended up going elsewhere:
* Avid SD brakes to the tandem.
* Mirror to the tandem.
* seat post to the red bike, when its came apart when trying to raise it.
*Tektro Eclispe levers to the tandem.
All for good causes.
Nigel
Another update.

I did not go with the 26.6mm seat post, as I already had a shim and 25.4mm seat post.

Niagara is sending new hardware for the fenders as the bag broke, and the box was not well sealed...

I had got a 3S bottom bracket axle - that is what was in it when I got the frame, and probably original. It is a might too long to work with the Shimano Sora FD, a 3P has been ordered, and should work with the Sora.

I did take it for a short ride this afternoon, only the low range (39T) available. It is one light and lively bicycle Smile very stiff like our tandem, and much lighter than my commuter. Pictures next week, after I get the new BB axle installed.

A couple of comments/review:
* I would not order the Sunlite fenders again; SKS Commuter are nicer, easier to install, and are shorter in the back making it easy to roll it up on the back wheel for maneuvering in tight places and putting on the rack in the light rail.
* I really like the Sunlite stem; I think that it is intended for BMX.
* The Avid VIA brakes are incredible bargain - $5- or more less each than the Avid SD 5 - but it is the same exact parts, except not black anodized, just rough as forged arms. If you don't "need" black, the VIA brakes are the way to go for linear pull.
* 28-571 (650c-28) tires are fine for a big guy like me Smile They probably contribute to the responsiveness.
* The Shimano RD-2200 is a very nice derailleur - yeah it is a few model years ago, and even then lower middle of the line.
* the DNP 7 speed freewheel works nicely with the derailleur - all cogs index perfectly.
Nigel
Well, the Niagara order is due in the next few days, but I am off to China for 3½ weeks; so I decided to remove the front derailleur and the 39T chainring, and respace things slightly. (I had tried the re-spacing with the FD, but that ended up moving the chainrings too far for the Sora FD. Given that I only ride of really flat stuff the 52T chainring works fine with the DNP 13-23 cassette. I did a mile or so, before getting a flat Sad and took these afterwards:

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb8/dianemisso/blue10072011/

I have a 7 speed KMC chain on it now, it is a bit wide for the RD-2200 8 speed derailleur (and also part of the issue with the Sora FD). New chain will be installed after I return - the 7 speed will be a fine back up for the sync chain on the tandem.

A thorn resistant tube is also in the Niagara order due after I leave..... I am waiting for Bill's report on the Rema patches. Terry Tellus PT tires are not in the same league as Speciallized Armadillos in terms of puncture resistance, but they wiegh less than half too. And I have not been able to find Armadillos in a 571 size. I will probably also try:
http://www.amazon.com/STOP-Flats-Bicycle-Tire-Liner/dp/B001CK2FM8/ in the Orange size. I tried a wider Slime liner, and BOOOOMMMMM.....during the inflation - thin tube and thick sharp transition do not like each other. It blew right at the overlap point - nice 75mm long hole.

The bike rides incredibly well - fast light and stiff.
Nigel
Love the angles, great job!
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Here it is, basically complete. I rode it every day to work this past week.

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb8/dianemisso/SR%2020111016/

The Cr-Mo frame is very comfortable, it doesn't beat me like the hi-ten steel frame of the World Tourist on the rough roads on my commute.

I put it up on the stand to oil the chain, and decided to take some pictures Smile

The front derailluer is back on Smile Along with Sram PC830 chain.

I found that Avenir Thorn Resistant tubes in the 26x1.25-1.75 size fit fine. Tire liners are coming.

I have had two flats, both due to the poor job I did on the rim tape, nothing has come through the tires in ~200 miles of riding.

The rear rack is a Sunlite Goldtec intended to be front mounted - no hole in the fork, and it works fine on the rear for carrying my lunch bag.

The lights are Bell Radiant; I like them a lot. The rear one is mount to a short piece of seat post that I had cut off for a friend, and a piece of channel bolted to the bottom of the carrier.

This bike and the tandem are functioning to much higher standards than the World Tourist - which after either the GT or the Miyata are operation; will be undergoing some surgery on the bottom bracket. It will probably loose the FFS (Front Freewheel System) in the process.

If I was doing it all over again, with 20-20 hind sight I would:
* 8/9 speed freehub
* 8 speed cassette 12-26 or similar.
* 34/50 compact double crankset
* Sun CR-18 ISO 590 rims 32H front, 36H rear
* Michelin World Tour 26 x 1-3/8 (ISO 35-590) tires.
* SRAM MRX rear shifter.
Nigel
Great Job on the sport Nigel! you should get a lifetime of use out that baby
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
UPDATE:

The SR continues to provide great service, now with thousands of miles on it.
Nigel
Hey Nigel, would you mind taking a few good pictures of the quill stem? I need to convert some frames to a more upright ride style, but most of what I have seen is butt ugly once you get a good look at it.
I noticed you said you like it. I need something high with little or no front extension. Is it really 3lbs? Must be an alloy of steel, LOL!
The quill geometry looks good:
[Image: IMG_0713.jpg]
Hi Jeff;

I will get a picture this weekend and post.

This is it: http://www.amazon.com/Sunlite-TCO-Piston-Quill-Stem/dp/B003CO9E94/

the tube is steel, only the head and clamp are aluminum alloy. Mine is positioned as low as it possibly can safely go in the fork - just a fraction above the transition to a smaller diameter on the inside of the fork.

It is also available in black - not a clue what it looks like - it would have to be powder coated to get a uniform appearance accross the steel and aluminum alloy, and I do not know if it is.
Nigel
(07-05-2012, 10:16 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  Hi Jeff;

I will get a picture this weekend and post.

It is all shiny silvery metal, but this angle and flash make the steel part look somewhat black.

[attachment=3319]

It is heavy, but I have no idea the actual mass, never measured it. The bulk of it is thick wall steel tubing, with a good size chuck of die cast aluminum on top. The plate is alloy too, with decent size cap screws to hold it in place.
Nigel
I put the bike up on the stand today to do a quick RD cable adjustment and took some pictures.

[attachment=3424]

[attachment=3425]

[attachment=3426]

[attachment=3427]

I also took the opportunity to try the ISO590 front wheel with 37-590 tire I built up for the 310 on it (no pictures) - much better fit than the ISO571 wheels on it now.

Future projects for this bike:
  • ISO590 wheels and tires for this bike.
  • 8 speed hub & cassette
  • drop bars with 8 speed STI shifter
  • Compact double chain rings (50/34)
Nigel
Are you a doomsday prepper ? looks like it will get you thru.
looks like you have one of those racks that hook to the brake bosses.
I have seen them and like the Idea but have always been afraid to get one because I have seen so many bosses break for seemingly no reason at all. I know braking forces are a lot compared to a moderate load setting on the rack but the rack adds a certain amount of leverage to the load on the bosses. I hope I did not just VooDoo you
Smile
(08-19-2012, 07:45 PM)painkiller Wrote:  Are you a doomsday prepper ? looks like it will get you thru.
looks like you have one of those racks that hook to the brake bosses.
I have seen them and like the Idea but have always been afraid to get one because I have seen so many bosses break for seemingly no reason at all. I know braking forces are a lot compared to a moderate load setting on the rack but the rack adds a certain amount of leverage to the load on the bosses. I hope I did not just VooDoo you
Smile

Actually, the load for the rack goes through a metal bar flush with the floor of the rack straight to the seat stays, the brake bosses are a pivot point. The connection to the brake bosses is able to rotate, minimizing the loads in the "wrong" directions.

I am using the same rack on the front of my 310, in that case, I have aluminum channel coming up from the fender mounts on the fork, and I do not use the bosses for brakes at all (Tektro R559).

We also have the same rack on the front of the tandem - very light loads only. Tried putting out U-locks up there, but the heavy load had a big negative impact on handling.
Nigel
On Tuesday, I ran over something an put a nasty hole thru the rear tire.

[attachment=3461][attachment=3462]

Taking a picture of tire is really hard with a low end camera.... but you can see the nasty hole in the middle of the tread.

Given that the Terry 28-571 is a $45- (discount) tire, and there is no other tire close to that size available in the USA - the change to 37-590 ($10- tire) has been accelerated. In the short term, and maybe long term, the wheels built up for the 310 are going on this bike. I have already check brake pad alignment and fender clearance capability.

As soon as I get back from China, the rear rim will be taped, tube, liner and tire installed. Freewheel installed, old chain removed, fenders loosened, wheels installed, fenders adjusted and tightened, new chain installed, and she'll be ready to go Smile

Additional Sun CR-18 ISO590 rims and other parts have been ordered for to arrive before I return. I'll be building more wheels at the end of this month Smile
Nigel

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

04-10-2011, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Portellini