Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

New set of tires
I need to buy a new set of tires for my road bike, less than a month ago I purchased a set of Panaracer Race A. I already have experienced three flats and few cuts in the tires. What I’m searching for is something that is fast but also durable. I try to ride 20 miles each day during the week, 30 plus on the weekends. If you have any suggestions which tires may fit my needs, I would be happy to check them out.
Thank you.
Continental GP 4000 S is lightweight but still quite durable, it was one of the most robust road tyres tested by the German "Tour Magazin", yet lightweight and fast. I have them, no flat so far (2 years of intermittent use). Even more robust is the Schwalbe "Blizzard", though I think it has been discontinued. It is heavy and not as fast as those high performance tyres, but the only flat I had was from a thin, needle like shard of glass ~6mm long (riding about same amount as you do now).
Joe_W,
I’ll take a look at them, they sound better than the ones I just purchased, thanks for the recommendation.
Just make sure they are GP 4000 s and not the lightweight RS. They are (almost) the same but have less rubber to make them lighter. You don't really need that, I guess (well, not for commuting anyway). Note that other manufacturers also have sturdy road tyres, but since I have no experience with those I cannot recommend any.

I also run latex tubes, though they require to reinflate the tyre daily (pressure goes down from 7.5 bars to 6 in 24h), they are supposedly more puncture resistant than regular butyl tubes because the material is more elastic. They require to be installed very carefully, so that you do not pinch them between tyre and rim - then they blow out really soon. They are also more expensive than the regular butyl tubes.
What I have seen so far, the GP 4000 s has numerous of good reviews online. I agree I’ll steer away from the RS’s thanks. I’m currently using specialized tubs, mostly because it’s available at the local bike shop. I just might give the latex tubes a try, thanks again.
Most people don't find the latex tubes worth the hassle: constant need of monitoring the pressure, installation, punctures supposedly cannot be fixed with regular patch kits...
Counterarguments: On a road bike you should check the pressure before any ride anyway. Installation should be done carefully also with butyl (and you need to do this only once. Ok, twice for me, the first one did blow). I carry a spare anyway and usually do not try to repair road bike tubes, they are so narrow the patches won't hold well.

As they say: your mileage may vary. I was more a "for completeness sake" statement.
Joe_W,
I agree with you. I check the pressure before each ride, I also take full advantage of the PIS for improved speed. My bike rout has plenty of hills and wind, so any little bit will help. I think packs are merrily to get you home, I never use them. I carry an extra tube in my bag.