Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Cycling culture in London
I'm visiting the UK right now, and I'm very impressed by the cycling culture in london. It's nice to see so many people riding to work. Wish more of them were wearing helmets, though... these roads and drivers are insane! That massive ferris wheel near parliament looks like a big bike wheel Big Grin
Its a national past time in London called "dodge the bus that can't see you", "that taxi driver hates all cyclists and will run you over" and our favorite game of "o sh1t where did that pedestrian appear from"?
Gotta give the UK and surrounding countries a +10 for bicycling as a major mode of transportation! Great job everyone. Hope you are having a wonderful time on your vacation dave Smile . Don't forget to try and run into one of the members from here Big Grin . More pics too!

Bill
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(05-14-2011, 08:00 AM)doctordee Wrote:  Its a national past time in London called "dodge the bus that can't see you", "that taxi driver hates all cyclists and will run you over" and our favorite game of "o sh1t where did that pedestrian appear from"?

Yeah, I know. For the benefit of those outside the UK, he's not exaggerating. Pedestrians step out at random and assume your stopping distance is about 5m, and it's not just taxi drivers, almost everyone in a vehicle actively tries to get you killed, or "can't see you" (read: can't be bothered to look). Lane discipline is shocking as well, often you get people overtaking you and then cutting you up to turn left; or those who turn out of junctions and don't look (though they're just as much a problem for cars as bikes)

Cycling in London is suicidal!
I could not agree more Jon, I made the mistake of taking my motorbike through London last month (normally hire a bicycle), even on a 1000cc motorbike, I had idiots in car, van, taxi's and buses doing everything you have described. When on my motorbike I have a special set of metal heeled motorbike boots made for such occasions. Will have to post a picture of my collection of wing mirrors from the above vehicles that messed me about.
That's the thing really, the biggest vehicle automatically has right of way, and even though 1000cc is big, it's still smaller than cars, taxis, etc. and thus has to "get out the way."

And when you say "collection," are we talking a shoe box or a crate? Wink
Currently in Edinburgh, Scotland, and I see all the cyclists climbing the cobblestone roads and I'm extremely jealous. The people I'm with aren't cyclists, so renting bikes isn't an option. Guess I'll just have to come back. Maybe hit france, instead, and do some of the tour de france routes.
(05-15-2011, 11:21 AM)JonB Wrote:  That's the thing really, the biggest vehicle automatically has right of way, and even though 1000cc is big, it's still smaller than cars, taxis, etc. and thus has to "get out the way."

And when you say "collection," are we talking a shoe box or a crate? Wink

Lets just say that when I walk into my shed, thirty images of me stare back, lol.

Dave, Edinburgh is beautiful, I lived and worked there for six years and only recently moved back to Northern Ireland. Those cobble stones are beautiful to look at but an absolute nightmare when wet and on 700c wheels.
dave are u back in london before u head home ?

Boardman Team Road/Race Bike

Felt 620 MTB

(05-17-2011, 04:41 PM)doctordee Wrote:  Lets just say that when I walk into my shed, thirty images of me stare back, lol.

haha! brilliant.
(05-17-2011, 05:27 PM)jinxy72 Wrote:  dave are u back in london before u head home ?

Only long enough to get on an airplane, sadly.

I on the isle of skye right now, and I'm impressed by the bicycle tourers. Every 5 minutes there is a downpour, and we also got a fair share of hail yesterday. The roads out here were certainly not designed to accommodate cars in some places, let alone bikes and cars!