Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Rare Tools
Here is a couple tools I have that I wanted to share pictures of with everyone...
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
I have heard of the Freewheel injector before for lubing up old freewheels. How does it work exactly?
Yeah! Tell us what they are and what they do. One says pat. pend. and that means I can't even look it up to see what it does. Smile

Speaking of rare, I just bought some chevron Proto "Professional" wrenches circa 1970s maybe. Note the satin finish but are polished where the wrench info is stamped. Can't even find those on ebay, not with the polishing and chevrons. Also rare is this is almost a complete set, just missing the 11/16".

And also just pulled the trigger on a pre-1973 Columbian 5" vise, made by the original company in Cleveland OH before Wilton started making them. That's the first one I've ever seen before. I'm picking up the vise tomorrow. Smile

Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!
@Duroon: The FreeWheel Grease Injector is used by screwing it into the back of the freewheel to be greased. Then take a grease gun with a female nipple end and pop it on the nipple part of the injector. Pump a few times and then the freewheel is greased. Remove the freewheel grease injector from freewheel by unscrewing it. I am gonna tell you that only the older freewheels can be greased with because of the placement of the rubber seal on the injector. I will try to get other pictures so you can see it better.

@KC-Steve: Wow my dad had a set of those a long time ago, but lost them eventually by letting others "borrow" them. The vise is interesting too.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Bill, maybe you can tell me if these "tyre" levers are rare. They are certainly rare to me. Smile I just picked these up yesterday when I picked up the vise.

They are stamped "Brooks made in England." And it looks like there might be 3 different spade sizes but don't have but one each of the smaller ones. See photo below.

Anyone have a clue as to what they sell for?

Thanks,
Steve
These are probably not in production anymore, but I do have a couple of these! Here is Brooks website, they are famous for their saddles (seats). .....
http://www.brooksengland.com/en/Shop_ProductPage.aspx?cat=bags+-+other+brooks+products&prod=Wheel+Kit

Also borrowed your image for instructional purpose. But yeah nice find!
(05-16-2011, 10:05 PM)Bill Wrote:  These are probably not in production anymore, but I do have a couple of these! Here is Brooks website, they are famous for their saddles (seats). .....
http://www.brooksengland.com/en/Shop_ProductPage.aspx?cat=bags+-+other+brooks+products&prod=Wheel+Kit

Also borrowed your image for instructional purpose. But yeah nice find!

DOH! I should have thought about checking the Brooks site. My brain is so rattled from working (I worked thru the weekend). Thanks for the info. And sure, you can use the photo, no problem. Smile

Just a side note about the tyre levers, the guy I bought them from told me he had some "spoke wrenches" for bicycles he picked up at an estate sale knowing I have an interest in buying used bicycle tools . . . and then I saw these. Smile

Thanks again,
Steve
No problem! I thought mine were too until I looked this up.
You guys really shoot grease into freewheels? I've re-habbed a few old ones by soaking in Varsol rinse, then when clean, lay them flat and drizzle some hydraulic oil into them. They run nice and smooth after that.

Also re-lube them whenever the freewheel comes off again, like when replacing spokes, etc.
Yea shooting the grease or whatever home brew mixture was an option. As you stated soaking them in some kind of solvent blew out old stuff with the solvent, I do this with my air compressor on 150psi (max air output) with the air blower nozzle. Then let it sit for like an hour and spray air in it again to make sure all the wet is dry. Afterwards I used a light style of grease/oil mix that would easily squirt into the small crevices until I seen it come out the backside. Wipe off the excess, spin it a few times, wipe off again, and install it. I will say it can be a bit messy, but they work rather great when I do use it. Coming across a freewheel that it matches up to is the hard part. There were adapters that one could buy back then for the different makes of freewheels, I yet have to find them.

Possibly Related Threads...