Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Casual biker, need help.
Hello everybody,

I'm from singapore and I'm a new biker, I don't know about those bicycle terms so please speak simply.. Thank you!

Firstly, it's a problem about my bicycle brakes, when i always go out for outings and rent bicycle from rental shops, their bicycle's brake is always epic, when you squeeze it, the bike stops INSTANTLY, very powerful.
However, with my new bike, when i squeeze the brakes, it always takes about 1-3 seconds to completely stop, it prefer stopping instantly. and yeah, it's a new bike so i don't think it's because of the brake being worn out. I tried approaching a local bike shop and they reluctantly replied me that there's no problem and it's already very good.. so my question is, how can i get the brakes to stop the bike instantly? do i need to adjust something or what?

Secondly, it's some brakes squeaking problems, since i got that bike, it randomly squeak when i apply the brakes, it doesn't happen all the time, only randomly (on both wet and dry days). What can I do to stop the squeaking?

Please help me with this 2 problems, thank you very much!
I've taken a picture of my brakes, please take a look.

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/896/img0046sf.jpg
brakes are a funny thing some times.In your case I would make sure they are pitched correctly and that should make the squeak go away. as far as how hard they hit could be the type of pads you have or even the brake levers themselves.I prefer cartridge style pads where the post is off center on the pads. With the long part of the pad towards the rear of the bike. Aztec makes a good set for a good price.A newer style Deore brake lever should do the trick. pads are around 25bucks a set of four and deore levers around 20 bucks. start with the pads see how it is. then do the levers if need be. they all act alittle different so to pinpoint exactly which one for you is trial and error till you get what you want.I would like to see a pic of the pads closer up and your levers
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Adjusting the toe in may increase your stopping too
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
HERE ARE A COUPLE PICS HOPE IT HELPS. TO SET BRAKE PITCH UNHOOK SPRING AND PUSH PAD AGAINST RIM AND TIGHTEN DOWN. USING THE RUBBER TAPE MAKES IT EASY AS IT PRESETS THE PITCH
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Thanks painkiller , I kinda got distracted and did not finish lol.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Yea i had to do quick camera work. I really like the blurry brake lever ha!
no , i do not do weddings
Levers are just that levers. And levers have a fulcrum and they all are different which makes them feel different from brand to brand and pad to pad. But he will figure it out