Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Yet Another Torque Wrench Question
Hi guys,

I understand most of the bits you need for a torque wrench, such as sockets, hex-end sockets bits, Torx end socket bits etc.

But what bits are required for the torque wrench for say, tightening an external bearing bottom bracket, or tightening the cassette? I've not really been able to find any torque wrench fittings for jobs like this you see.

Cheers

Si
It would depend on the tool that you are using. If the tool is normally tightened with a open end, box or Crescent wrench, then you can use a socket that will fit the tool with your torque wrench. I made a comment on another post similar to this one to where I wondered why companies like Park don't cut their tools to accept 1/4" or 3/8" torque wrenches since most of the tools they make are for parts that have manufacturer's specification on torque. It just makes sense to me to do so.
HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe...Ride Hard...Ride Daily
Thanks John,

You probably already know but I'd use a Park BB9 or something similar to tighten my Truvativ GXP external bearing bottom bracket and a cassette tool with adjustable wrench to tighten my cassette. Know of any bits for a torque wrench that would fit these kind of shapes?
The BBT9 doesn't look like it has anywhere to attach a torque wrench. However, with the cassette tool, you should be able to use a socket on it if you are currently using an adjustable wrench. You just have to be careful that you don't use too many socket adapters or it can throw the torque wrench off. The BBT10 (according to the photo) has a place to use an allen key so that will work great with a torque wrench.

Now what I don't understand is why Park doesn't make the BBT9 (and other similar tools) with a 1/4" or 3/8" square drive cutout between the handle and the cup wrench opening so that you can use a torque wrench with the tool. It's a pretty simple concept. It would be like using a torque wrench with a crow's foot wrench.
HCFR Cycling Team
(05-27-2011, 08:24 AM)Dalton2250 Wrote:  Hi guys,

I understand most of the bits you need for a torque wrench, such as sockets, hex-end sockets bits, Torx end socket bits etc.

But what bits are required for the torque wrench for say, tightening an external bearing bottom bracket, or tightening the cassette? I've not really been able to find any torque wrench fittings for jobs like this you see.

Cheers

Si

That's a good question! It seems a lot of people would have a solution since it is something fairly common to do I would think.

You didn't mention these and I'm not sure if you are aware of them, but the link shows a choice of crowsfoot attachments. I don't have any myself but have been considering adding them to my inventory.

http://store.harryepstein.com/search?q=crowfoot

As far as the BBT-9, I don't think it would be difficult to sacrifice one by cutting the handle off and creating a BBT-9 "crowsfoot" using a drill and file. Simply drill a few holes in a square-like configuration and then use a metal file to smooth the edges out so the square drive on a torque wrench would fit easily. It won't be purdy, but if it is done right, I'm sure it will work.

Maybe some others have better ideas. Smile

Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!
Well, Park Tool has the BBT-19??? It fits on a 3/8 torque wrench...
(05-29-2011, 08:14 AM)bobtravers Wrote:  Well, Park Tool has the BBT-19??? It fits on a 3/8 torque wrench...

There ya go! I knew SOMEONE had to have an easier answer. Smile

Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!
Doesn't do any good for wrench style tools with handles on them. I realize that you can't do it with all the handled tools, but those that are flat metal with large heads on them, like the BBT-9, should be no problem.
HCFR Cycling Team

Possibly Related Threads...