Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Cassettes, chains, cranks are they compatible..?
Hi... I bought 2 second hand wheels for my Gary Fisher bike..
The rear wheel came with a new 8 speed cassette marked... Shimano Hypergluide HG.
After reading the spec. list of the bike it lists the chain as Shimano CN-IG51, 1/2 x 3/32" ..and the front gear chain as SR XCC-150 42/34/24 crank..
The original cassette was SRAM PG830 11-32 8spd

My question ...is the new cassette OK with the original chain and crank.
Just got me thinking when I seen HG on the cassette and IG for the chain..
Been riding with this set up a few days now and it seems OK.
Not sure if all cassettes, cranks and chains are compatible..so hope its not a stupid question...

Thanks..
Hi Rocky. Your IG chain will work beautifully with all other components that you have listed.
If anyone is interested in a little Shimano 'history lesson' - HG (Hyperglide) came first and greatly improved shifting performance of Shimano systems. Then they refined it to IG (Interglide) and it got better! Always remember, H comes before I in the alphabet. Smile
It basically comes down to the tooth profiles on the cassette, and ramps and pins on the rings. Up front, IMO, it's not that big of a headache. An IG chain will work great on a HG cassette but, not an HG chain on an IG cassette. It 'will' work, just not sweetly.
As HG and IG were both introduced in the 1990s, most anything by any other Mfr today will work equally well with either.
A lot of SRAM stuff was invented by learning from Shimano, and they still make parts that work with Shimano! SRAM is cool.
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
(05-27-2011, 06:35 PM)rocky34 Wrote:  Hi... I bought 2 second hand wheels for my Gary Fisher bike..
The rear wheel came with a new 8 speed cassette marked... Shimano Hypergluide HG.
After reading the spec. list of the bike it lists the chain as Shimano CN-IG51, 1/2 x 3/32" ..and the front gear chain as SR XCC-150 42/34/24 crank..
The original cassette was SRAM PG830 11-32 8spd

My question ...is the new cassette OK with the original chain and crank.
Just got me thinking when I seen HG on the cassette and IG for the chain..
Been riding with this set up a few days now and it seems OK.
Not sure if all cassettes, cranks and chains are compatible..so hope its not a stupid question...

Thanks..

The new cassette is marked ..Hypergluide HG 50
Not sure what all the figures mean.... it is 11/30t 8 speed
Thanks again..
Your IG chain will work beautifully. ...
Thanks for the info Bob..
Glad to hear it is OK
I intend to get a new chain this week ..
Do I just look out for an 8 speed shimano chain ..and what tools do I need for the chain link..

Thanks
It can be almost ANY mfr, rocky. All new chains by ALL mfrs are, at the very least, IG compat.
I might recommend a SRAM PC-830, -850 or -870. Works on any 8 that I have seen in the past 20.
Hello

I've recently updated my chain with an ig-51
My crank and cassette are HG (hyperglide)

After the setup was done i went for a test drive and then the most wierdest thing happened !!! My chain broke in literally pieces !!! I went thinking i did something wrong so replacement the already newly placed chain with a new one of the same brand (IG-51) and after my second test drive the same exact thing happened .... 😑 .

Anyone have any ideas or what might have gone wrong ???

Thank you best regards Pieter
(03-25-2021, 03:38 PM)Pieter Papas Wrote:  Hello

I've recently updated my chain with an ig-51
My crank and cassette are HG (hyperglide)

After the setup was done i went for a test drive and then the most wierdest thing happened !!! My chain broke in literally pieces !!! I went thinking i did something wrong so replacement the already newly placed chain with a new one of the same brand (IG-51) and after my second test drive the same exact thing happened .... 😑 .

Anyone have any ideas or what might have gone wrong ???

Thank you best regards Pieter

Hello Pieter.
Sounds crazy! Could it be that both times the chain was too short?
Autobahn

Possibly Related Threads...