Bicycle TutorBicycle Tutor

Show off your bike!

Problems shifting gears (main ones on chainrings)

Related video tutorials:
How to Adjust Your Front Derailleur How to Adjust Your Front Derailleur
* Now with 3D interactive instructions
Dalton2250 Offline

Chesterfield, Derbyshire, UK
Problems shifting gears (main ones on chainrings)
Hi guys,

I'd be most grateful if anyone could provide a little advice about my shifters/gears.

The shifter that works the rear derailleur seems to be having problems. It's a SRAM X-9 rapidfire trigger, leading to an X-0 rear derailleur.

Sometimes when I'm on the hardest of the chainrings and I try to switch down to the middle one, it gets stuck, in other words doesn't change down & renders the shifter unusable temporarily. The only way to bring it back to life again seems to be to alternate between upshifting & downshifting until something happens!

Can anyone tell me the cause of this? It's not all the time, just occasionally but obviously can cause fairly annoying problems especially if at the foot of a hill I'm about to climb!

Is it to do with the cables? Or the shifters? Or something else?

Muchas apprecianados fellas

Si
Mar 21, 2011 01:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bubbalou8077 Offline

RE: Problems shifting gears (main ones on chainrings)
(Mar 21, 2011 01:44 AM)Dalton2250 Wrote:  Hi guys,

I'd be most grateful if anyone could provide a little advice about my shifters/gears.

The shifter that works the rear derailleur seems to be having problems. It's a SRAM X-9 rapidfire trigger, leading to an X-0 rear derailleur.

Sometimes when I'm on the hardest of the chainrings and I try to switch down to the middle one, it gets stuck, in other words doesn't change down & renders the shifter unusable temporarily. The only way to bring it back to life again seems to be to alternate between upshifting & downshifting until something happens!

Can anyone tell me the cause of this? It's not all the time, just occasionally but obviously can cause fairly annoying problems especially if at the foot of a hill I'm about to climb!

Is it to do with the cables? Or the shifters? Or something else?

Muchas apprecianados fellas

Si

Have you tried adjusting the cable tension ring where the cable goes into the shifter on the handlebars? It should turn with your fingers. Try turning it by 1/4 of a turn then see if it helps. If it worsens try turning the other direction. If that doesn't do it then you will have to have a bike tech look at it if you do not know how to adjust the front derailleur.
Mar 21, 2011 09:40 AM
cyclerUK Offline
Veteran Member

Check out the inner cables first. Look for loose strands or corrosion where they run through the outer housings. Remove the inners, if you can, and inspect them.
Check also where the cables run around the frame for cable wear, obstructions or dirt, especially if it goes under the bottom bracket shell..

Ride hard or ride home alone!
Mar 21, 2011 01:10 PM
Dalton2250 Offline

Chesterfield, Derbyshire, UK
Thanks Bubbalou & Cycler, I'll take heed of both your suggestions.

Much appreciated.

Si
Mar 22, 2011 04:20 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Upgrading gears: friction to indexed thumb levers? MikZ 5 473 Nov 2, 2014 04:52 PM
Last Post: MikZ
  Rear Shifting Problems! cricket0140 5 706 Oct 19, 2014 06:08 AM
Last Post: painkiller
  What is wrong with my bike's gear shifting? Marlogism 4 1,409 Oct 13, 2014 05:21 PM
Last Post: Old Retired Petty Officer
  Problems with front derailleur. neil180 1 1,241 Sep 9, 2014 03:13 PM
Last Post: cny-man
  Front Derailleur problem/whole shifting system benonidoni1 9 1,346 Sep 7, 2014 07:19 PM
Last Post: cny-man
  I can only use the highest 5 gears on my 8spd rear cog bianchi29er 21 11,019 Sep 1, 2014 02:35 AM
Last Post: wikey
  Road bike gears not shifting at all tornviper 2 1,005 Aug 24, 2014 12:23 PM
Last Post: tornviper
  Shifting is almost impossible Pixelshot 13 11,581 Aug 19, 2014 09:19 PM
Last Post: Blogengeezer
  Frustrating issue with rear gears crot4lus 4 1,347 Jul 9, 2014 12:57 AM
Last Post: crot4lus
  Front derailleur not shifting properly srixon 10 42,379 Jun 17, 2014 07:39 PM
Last Post: Palash