Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Green Triple Triange GT - no longer ugly
http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb8/dianemisso/Green%20Bike/

Just picked this up Saturday. It is 22½" - perfect for me. The front suspension is going. Like the tandem, and the blue bike, it has Tange Cro-Mo tubing.

My wife calls the color UGLY Smile and strongly suggests that it should be repainted. I haven't a clue about the color yet; hopefully she'll choose. Smile

The headset and BB are shot. After the blue bike is done, this one is next.
Nigel
Is that than older triple triangle Gt? Looks like one to have fun with
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(05-30-2011, 05:15 PM)painkiller Wrote:  Is that than older triple triangle Gt? Looks like one to have fun with

I think so - not sure. I got it for it size and Cro-Mo tubing. Smile
Nigel
Let me know if you need help finding parts, i have some early-mid 90 stuff
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(05-30-2011, 07:18 PM)painkiller Wrote:  Let me know if you need help finding parts, i have some early-mid 90 stuff

Thank you - the headset looks different from my others. The forks will be replaced with rigid.
Nigel
UPDATE

Wow !! it has been more than a year !!

Yesterday; I started putting it together, and discovered that I am missing a couple of things - ordered.

For Christmas, my wife gave me several things for this build, including bright YELLOW Planet Bike fenders.

I have 100psi Kenda 26 x 1.5 (40-559) tire on the rear and more aggressive Bell 26 x 1.75 (45-550) tire on the front - should work well on gravel. Shimano Alivo derailleurs, 8 speed 11-32T cassette; 28-38-48 triple crank.

It also has a cheap suspension fork - an experiment.

The missing items: bearings that I had then lost somewhere - they'll turn up right after I get the replacements; brakes - had intended on using the ones on the SR (which were going to be replaced with mini-Vs, which will not fit with the fenders......), brackets to mount the fender to the fork (actually seat post clamps) and pedals (duh !!).

Green frame with yellow fenders - perfect Cheese Head combination - and a black and yellow saddle. Too bad I am not much of a Green Bay fan......
Nigel
Pictures !!! Smile

[attachment=3352]

[attachment=3353]

[attachment=3354]

It is a very smooth riding bike, it feels about the same wieght as the SR (aka blue bike) but much softer.

I am not sure about the suspension fork - it is an experiment. PK suggested this fork in another post: http://www.ebay.com/itm/RIGID-STRAIGHT-MTB-MOUNTAIN-BIKE-FORK-BLACK-1-1-8-26-in-/110864684371?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19d00cd553#ht_746wt_952&afsrc=1 , and I have a threadless headset to install with it.
Nigel
Thats not ugly Nigel, it looks nice!
Let us know how the fork works, You know I like my street machines rigid. please do not be mad at me if it does not work out but let us know. I would make a fork decision based on what one could afford, what is the quality and price range of the bike it is going on i.e. List price, intended purpose, and rider weight. I probably would have recommended another suspension fork for your individual case, But would have told you to stay with a rigid one of good quality. over a $100 suspension fork
But the bike looks great, enjoy the ride!
Nice looking bike Nigel. As Yogi Berra might have said, "Only Green Bay fans are Green Bay fans." Smile

That color scheme could grow on ya. I like that triangle frame too.

Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!
(07-29-2012, 04:17 PM)painkiller Wrote:  Thats not ugly Nigel, it looks nice!
Let us know how the fork works, You know I like my street machines rigid. please do not be mad at me if it does not work out but let us know. I would make a fork decision based on what one could afford, what is the quality and price range of the bike it is going on i.e. List price, intended purpose, and rider weight. I probably would have recommended another suspension fork for your individual case, But would have told you to stay with a rigid one of good quality. over a $100 suspension fork
But the bike looks great, enjoy the ride!
Thanx !!! I tried to change the name of the tread - would not let me as it is more than 1 hour old. Sad My wife thinks that it looks really good too Smile the yellow fenders and saddle work well with the green frame.

This is my first bike ever with a suspension fork. The fork on the bike was $1 plus $8.99 shipping from Crosslake Sales. It is not fully compressed with me on it - amazing to me. It is heavy - about the same wieght as the frame. I'll see how it goes, for now, I am calling it finished - next up is the 310 then the Jack Taylor Smile
Nigel
Looking awesome and the title fits! No longer ugly Wink. Green and yellow is a very unique paint combination! I like it. I also have a GT Trip Triangle same as one in Alex' vids. You cant go wrong.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Just wanted to share with Nigel about how great minds think alike. This is famous Moutain biker/designer/magazine editor Richard Cunninghams airplane that he built himself. maybe you have seen him in skies of southern Cal
P.S. for real Nigel I did not photoshop this one! cracked me up bro when I saw this one
Some details and evaluation.

* Origin 8 linear pull brakes
* Tektro levers
* Bell cables
* Shimano M413 FD
* Shimano Alivio RD
* no name 36H rear hub - CL find
* Alex rear rim
* Wheelsmith DH13 spokes (rear) REALLY strong wheel
* Amazon Wiemann front wheel 36H; spokes tensioned, trued and stress relieved.
* cheap front suspension fork (will likely get replaced with rigid - wieghs more than the frame)
* Avenir 200 series bars
* Origin 8 extensions
* Sunlight foam on the bars and extensions
* MRX rear shifter
* Shimano thumb lever front shifter
* Profile Design 1 1/8" threaded to threadless converter
* Kalloy stem
* Velo saddle
* 25.4mm seat post
* seat post shims
* Stop Flats 2 liners
* Avenir thorn resistant tubes
* monofiliment strapping tape to protect the tube from the spoke nipples
* 123mm BB Shimano UN55
* Shimano cranks (cheap) 28-38-48 with chainguard
* Shimano 11-30T 8 speed cassette (came with the hub).

Evaluation:
* very nice smooth ride.
* the bars are too wide.
* 123mm BB is too long, 118 or 115 would be better. 123mm allows the 28t chainring to work well with the 11t cog on the cassetter, but the 38t chainring has too much chain angle to work with the 30t cog. Need to check clearance to the chain stays.
* fork is too heavy; will go with rigid when re-doing the bike
Nigel
I like it. Is that an Alex DX-24 on the rear?
(08-04-2012, 07:06 AM)1FJEF Wrote:  I like it. Is that an Alex DX-24 on the rear?

ADVENTURER (XC MTB) - Alex Rims naming conventions are confusing to me.

"Features:
Double wall design, Racer's edge
technology, Optional SSE

Tech Spec:
Pin joint, 32 or 36 holes, silver/black W/CSW
26"-545g, ERD 540.3mm, ETRTO 559X18mm"

They are nice rims, strong, round and true, very easy build. I have another rim to build up a match front wheel, need to get a black hub to match the rear hub.
(07-30-2012, 11:14 PM)painkiller Wrote:  Just wanted to share with Nigel about how great minds think alike. This is famous Moutain biker/designer/magazine editor Richard Cunninghams airplane that he built himself. maybe you have seen him in skies of southern Cal
P.S. for real Nigel I did not photoshop this one! cracked me up bro when I saw this one

Love it Smile thanx
Nigel
I also like the Alex rim model #s as they give the internal width. I like this one too, it's similar to yours but wider & 4oz heavier (660g) from the BMX/Downhill line.
[Image: 2006515111035_2.jpg]
[Image: 2006515111035_3.jpg]
Your Adventurer:
[Image: 200638135359_1.jpg]
[Image: 200637164751_3.jpg]
(08-06-2012, 07:33 AM)1FJEF Wrote:  I also like the Alex rim model #s as they give the internal width. I like this one too, it's similar to yours but wider & 4oz heavier (660g) from the BMX/Downhill line.
[Image: 2006515111035_2.jpg]
[Image: 2006515111035_3.jpg]
Your Adventurer:
[Image: 200638135359_1.jpg]
[Image: 200637164751_3.jpg]

I like the Adventurer, I'm just so hard on stuff. That DM24 might be safer with my abuse.
(07-29-2012, 03:31 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  I am not sure about the suspension fork - it is an experiment. PK suggested this fork in another post: http://www.ebay.com/itm/RIGID-STRAIGHT-MTB-MOUNTAIN-BIKE-FORK-BLACK-1-1-8-26-in-/110864684371?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19d00cd553#ht_746wt_952&afsrc=1 , and I have a threadless headset to install with it.
That fork is about 2.75lbs uncut. I don't know if that's heavy or not? Looks like it goes both ways, disc/rim brake. It's wouldn't get painted yellow would it? (lol)
Just wanted to throw in a little line that Alex Rims are very sturdy and durable as stated above because I built two wheels with them Smile .
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
pssst.... Hey kid, c'mere. Wanna buy a yellow water bottle? Wink
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

10-10-2012, 08:18 PM
Last Post: Bill

03-10-2010, 11:35 AM
Last Post: tino