Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

'85 Schwinn World Tourist
http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb8/dianemisso/Red%20Bike%20110609/

I finally got some pictures taken of my commuter. I ride it 12 miles each way to and from work; 120 miles per week; plus some additional on the weekends. I purchased it new in 1985, and last year made some major upgrades. The frame, bottom bracket, front freewheel chainring, front derailleur (and shifter), headset, and forks are original.

Last years changes include:
  • flat bars
  • Tektro Eclipse levers
  • SRAM shifter
  • Shimano TX51 rear derailluer
  • mid '80s vintage sealed bearing 36/40 Suze-Araya wheels with 2.0mm stainless steel spokes
  • Bell Kevar front tire
  • Specialized Armadillo All Condition rear tire
  • Tektro R559 brakes
  • SKS 45mm commuter fenders

Currently it has a 14-34T seven speed Shimano freewheel. Today, a 13-23T Sunrace freewheel was ordered for it. The front rings are 52 & 40 - still with a working freewheel in the BB.

I do the 12 miles in about an hour; a little longer on the way home due to traffic.
Nigel
Nigel,

Very nice looking bike. I really like the older bikes, it just seems that I can never find one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. The bike shop I go to (a Schwinn and Giant dealer) had an older Schwinn for sale for $250.00. I decided to get it the next day but when I went to the shop he had already sold it. They don't stay around for very long. I look in my local area Graig's List but their is usually no photo or it's in terrible condition for the price they want. I'll just keep on looking, even though I really don't need three bikes.
HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe...Ride Hard...Ride Daily
Very NICE Nigel! Looks like it is in mint condition. I didn't think you were a Schwinn fan, surprise!

Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!
All I gotta say is I'll quote Wayne and Garth..."SCHWINN!" It's a beauty Nigel.
thank you all Smile

the new freewheel has shipped; I hope that it arrives in time for me to install it this weekend.
Nigel
NICE Nigel!!! Everyone LOVES a 80's Schwinn Wink. Yours is a beauty!!! This is the one you were talking about giving the Carbons a good run?
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(06-14-2011, 11:50 PM)Bill Wrote:  NICE Nigel!!! Everyone LOVES a 80's Schwinn Wink. Yours is a beauty!!! This is the one you were talking about giving the Carbons a good run?
yes Smile
it is high tensile steel, and is not light, but it rolls very nicely.
Nigel
(06-15-2011, 10:59 AM)nfmisso Wrote:  
(06-14-2011, 11:50 PM)Bill Wrote:  NICE Nigel!!! Everyone LOVES a 80's Schwinn Wink. Yours is a beauty!!! This is the one you were talking about giving the Carbons a good run?
yes Smile
it is high tensile steel, and is not light, but it rolls very nicely.

Hehe I thought soSmile! Really sweet bike
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
And now with a 13-25T (13-15-17-19-21-23-25) seven speed Sunrace freewheel - no more big jumps Smile That 34-24 transition was murder on my knees.

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb8/dianemisso/Red20110618/
Nigel
That close ratio freewheel is just what I needed !! Smile It is perfect for my flat commute.

The new Spectra saddle and non-suspension seat post also contributed to great rides this morning and evening. I raised the saddle another ½" tonight, felt a little low.

I had my fastest day (to + from work) yet, today; about 1¾ hours for the 24 miles - including traffic lights.
Nigel
I really like you bike and I had a couple questions because I want to upgrade the tourist that I just got. Could you give me the sizes of your upgrades i.e. Derailleur and wheels. I don't know anything about bikes but want to make some updates. Thanks
(09-08-2011, 01:43 PM)Jerblove05 Wrote:  I really like you bike and I had a couple questions because I want to upgrade the tourist that I just got. Could you give me the sizes of your upgrades i.e. Derailleur and wheels. I don't know anything about bikes but want to make some updates. Thanks
The wheels are the same size as stock 27 x 1¼ (ISO630). If I hadn't scored those particular wheels, I would have gone with ISO622 (700c). The Tektro R559 brakes have enough pad adjustment to work with either ISO630 or ISO622 wheels.

The front derailleur is original, as it's shifter. The rear derailleur is a Shimano TX-51; no longer made, the TX-55 is the closest. It is a long cage derailleur. Next to the bottom of Shimano's line. The rear shifter is a SRAM MRX 7 speed.

The most important upgrade in my opinion is the Tektro R559 brakes (R556 are functionally the same).
Nigel
NEW PEDALS !!!

New pedals arrived Friday, and were installed over the weekend:
http://www.amazon.com/MKS-Lambda-Platform-Pedal/dp/B001GSQVEE/

Based on this morning's commute, they are definitely an improvement over:
http://www.amazon.com/MKS-Sylvan-Touring-Pedal-Double/dp/B000YBEJZM/
on a heavy bike such as mine. They spread the forces out better on my feet, and grip my shoes better - resulting in more speed for a given amount of effort.
Nigel
Must say these newer pedal look weird but I can see their effectiveness.
Newbie here. I just picked up a 1985 G0385 Ladies World Tourist. It's in excellent shape with the exception of missing the rear derailleur. What derailleur do I need to make it whole. It's a 10 speed with the front freewheeling system. Also, the rear cable appears ok but if I put on a different derailleur what cable and shifter handle do I need. Thanks for your help!
(07-21-2012, 07:37 PM)madralah Wrote:  Newbie here. I just picked up a 1985 G0385 Ladies World Tourist. It's in excellent shape with the exception of missing the rear derailleur. What derailleur do I need to make it whole. It's a 10 speed with the front freewheeling system. Also, the rear cable appears ok but if I put on a different derailleur what cable and shifter handle do I need. Thanks for your help!

Derailleur: Shimano Tourney RD-TX75 Rear Derailleur - 6/7-Speed, w/Hanger
http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Tourney-RD-TX75-Rear-Derailleur/dp/B003ZMDJSK/

It will work fine with the original shifter; but do replace all the cables - you can get Bell Bike Fix Cable Set (some trimming required) for less the $5- at Wal-mart or a bit more through Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Bell-Bike-Fix-Cable-Set/dp/B002GCALOU/

I strongly recommend upgrading the brakes to Tektro R556 or R559 - R536 will also work if you keep the stock wheel size (ISO 630). The 556/559 allow you to change to ISO 622 (aka 700c) wheels. See above also.
Nigel
nfmisso, Thanks for the info and suggestions. I'll be ordering your recommended parts and let you know how it turns out. Thanks again!
C'mon Nigel, cut the tails off them there cable ties. lol
[Image: IMG_0682.jpg]
(07-23-2012, 07:59 PM)1FJEF Wrote:  C'mon Nigel, cut the tails off them there cable ties. lol

I did a few months back when I fitted new smaller panniers. Smile
Nigel
Nigel, aka '85 SWT guru,

My TX75 arrived and the cables should be here tomorrow. I figured out how to get it mounted and I broke the chain in order to thread it through and reinstalled the link. (I'm old and spent some time looking for the repair link that I was used to back in the day but I guess that's old school.)

My question for today is: Does the chain need to be lengthened for the TX75? Without the correct cable I tried to take the chain through the paces and it doesn't want to reach top gear. If so, should I spring for a new chain and if so, which one? I'm not looking to spend a fortune here.

Thanks again for your patience dealing with someone who hasn't messed around with bicycles for many, many years.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

04-10-2011, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Portellini