Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Biking at the beach
I am headed to the Outer Banks in a couple of weeks. I want to take my new road bike to get in a few rides. Should I be concerned about exposure to salt air? How about cleaning while there or after I return home? I have an old beater that I could take instead.
I think that you worse risk is getting sand in the works (bearings, chain, etc).

Salt air is not a big deal, unless you have exposed bare steel.
Nigel
I ride at the beach all the time. the bolts that hold the stem faceplate to the stem are a little rusty on their heads, but that's about it. Sand does get into the chain and gears but if you clean your bike regularly this should be no big deal. If you're really concerned about the salt air, wipe down the bike after each ride
YE me too Dave. I ride the beach bike path all the time. I just use a painters brush to brush off the sand when I get home. Clean and wax bike once in a while and do not lube chain excessively.

SS spokes are recommended.

BTW what outer banks are you refereeing too. Where are you?
Never Give Up!!!
(06-13-2011, 05:40 PM)GeorgeET Wrote:  YE me too Dave. I ride the beach bike path all the time. I just use a painters brush to brush off the sand when I get home. Clean and wax bike once in a while and do not lube chain excessively.

SS spokes are recommended.

BTW what outer banks are you refereeing too. Where are you?

Thanks for the input. I live in Virgina. The Outer Banks refers to the barrier islands off the coast of North Carolina: Hatteras, Nags Head, Corolla, etc.

Great place to ride-- very flat. There is however, a fair amount of vehicle traffic in the Summer and the wind can be a real bitch!
10-4, and a beautiful area it is. Ye traffic sucks. I am fortunate here that we have a bike path along the beach and parks for great MB riding.

I do not ride on the street.
Never Give Up!!!
When I was in Florida, my bikes would corrode just sitting in the garage (I was right on New Smyrna Beach), especially the spokes. So I would wash them down after every ride and then spray WD40 on everything metal, except the brakes, of course. As a result, I still love the smell of WD40 to this day (some \30 years later!), sometimes I spray it in my van as an 'air freshener'....(pretty weird, eh?).
Air freshener? Well ok that works if you like it that much. Personally I love the smell of Triflow (smells like bananas).
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
I haven't had any problems with riding at the beach (pretty much anywhere here on Hawaii) You just have to watch out for the sand getting into your drive components and I tend to check the bottoms of my bikes where the spray hits if I by chance hit any puddles. The biggest time that bikes have problems is when they just sit there in the salty, humid air. Even worse if its raining at the same time, you can just say goodbye to your chain if that goes on too long.
(06-14-2011, 03:18 PM)nameused Wrote:  .....Even worse if its raining at the same time, you can just say goodbye to your chain if that goes on too long.

good reason to coat things, including the chain with marine grease; like that used for boat trailer wheel bearings.
Nigel
(06-14-2011, 03:39 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  
(06-14-2011, 03:18 PM)nameused Wrote:  .....Even worse if its raining at the same time, you can just say goodbye to your chain if that goes on too long.

good reason to coat things, including the chain with marine grease; like that used for boat trailer wheel bearings.

Yeah learned that pretty fast. I haven't used it on my chain though, I just use some wet weather bike oil on mine and it holds up pretty well. Also having a cover on the bike helps a lot.
As far as I know, there isn't much you can do to avoid salt damage on your bike. I'd say take the old beater when getting in some rides. I know you'd problem rather take the new bike, but I'd say keep her looking nice for the time being