Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

GT Avalanche 1.0 Axle Bent
I have a GT Avalanche that is several years old. The axle in the rear wheel is slightly bent. The wheel is the one that came with the bike and is a Scycros double wall wheel. My local bike shop doesn't stock the axles. I need help on finding a supplier of axles that will fit this wheel. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
What size of axle is it... regular 9mm rear axle, of 12 mm, or 20 mm??? What's the make and model of the hub??
To add to Bob's questions:

Is the hub have sealed bearings or cones? If sealed bearings; you are looking at a new hub. If cones with loose balls, no problem. For example if you have a 10mm rear axle, this one will most likely work: http://www.amazon.com/AXLE-ACTION-146MM-RETAINERS-INCLUDED/dp/B001CC0C9Y/

Most bikes today have 10mm rear axles, EXCEPT BMX. But there are several other sizes.
Nigel
(06-22-2011, 09:00 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  To add to Bob's questions:

Is the hub have sealed bearings or cones? If sealed bearings; you are looking at a new hub. If cones with loose balls, no problem. For example if you have a 10mm rear axle, this one will most likely work: http://www.amazon.com/AXLE-ACTION-146MM-RETAINERS-INCLUDED/dp/B001CC0C9Y/

Most bikes today have 10mm rear axles, EXCEPT BMX. But there are several other sizes.

Thanks for the advise. I think this one has sealed bearings so it sounds like I need to look for a new hub.
Unfortunately if you indeed need a new hub ( I am not familiar with sealed bearing wheels and their axles so not sure why Nigel says you need a new hub) finding one may be a problem and the cost of rebuild will be about as much as a new wheel. BTDT.

How did it bend?? You could try a hail Mary pass and pull the axle roll it on a straight surface and see if it can be straightened. Kind of iffy. There are special presses but too much load is problematic structurally and not cost effective in a machine shop.

Try contacting the manufacturer or distributor for info.
Never Give Up!!!
(06-23-2011, 01:44 AM)GeorgeET Wrote:  Unfortunately if you indeed need a new hub ( I am not familiar with sealed bearing wheels and their axles so not sure why Nigel says you need a new hub) finding one may be a problem and the cost of rebuild will be about as much as a new wheel. BTDT.

How did it bend?? You could try a hail Mary pass and pull the axle roll it on a straight surface and see if it can be straightened. Kind of iffy. There are special presses but too much load is problematic structurally and not cost effective in a machine shop.

Try contacting the manufacturer or distributor for info.

Again, thanks for the advise. I did contact the manufacturer by e-mail, but have not gotten a response from GT at this time. I'm not sure how I bent the axle. I have had a couple of down hill tumbles this spring. On one of them I broke a spoke. The axle may have bent at that point.

If I can't come up with a replacement, I will try your suggestion of trying to straighten the axle.
(06-23-2011, 09:37 AM)tross45 Wrote:  .......

If I can't come up with a replacement, I will try your suggestion of trying to straighten the axle.

There is NO way to straighten the axle - it is hardened tool steel.

Sealed bearing axles are generally not available as spare parts.....

I just looked at the GT website; it is very doubtful that the Avalanche (which model do you have as there are over a dozen) has "sealed" bearings.

How do you know the axle is bent if you have not taken it apart? If you had taken it apart, you'd know if it had cones are "sealed" bearings.......
Nigel
(06-23-2011, 10:34 AM)nfmisso Wrote:  
(06-23-2011, 09:37 AM)tross45 Wrote:  .......

There is NO way to straighten the axle - it is hardened tool steel.

Sealed bearing axles are generally not available as spare parts.....

I just looked at the GT website; it is very doubtful that the Avalanche (which model do you have as there are over a dozen) has "sealed" bearings.

How do you know the axle is bent if you have not taken it apart? If you had taken it apart, you'd know if it had cones are "sealed" bearings.......

I ended up taking it to a bike shop and they could not find a replacement axle for it. I also called a bike shop that was listed as a GT dealer and they said that with the sealed bearings that it would be very difficult to find an axle. I ended up buying an new wheel to solve the problem.

Thanks for the help offered on this forum.
Yep 10-4 , after rebuilding four wheels for my MB and RB and having lots of difficulty finding correct parts and proper threads, next time I will just buy a wheel. Although finding 120mm rear wheel is unobtainum unless used.
So fitting in a `126mm seems the way to go.

Seems with so many different threads and sizes no one stocks or makes spare parts anymore.

BTW getting a new replacement axle with parts that are correct is not easy. Too many variables cone size and seals to fit the hub, they come in many sizes also threads very, also with sealed bearings. I once went through a box of used nuts trying to fit my vintage 1985 Fuji axle, nothing fit. Amazing. Nothing is standard.
Never Give Up!!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

06-02-2020, 07:16 PM
Last Post: Painkiller

06-23-2019, 01:51 PM
Last Post: MamboNumber5

09-24-2014, 03:25 PM