Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Mongoose xr-250 front derailleur
I am having some problem with my front shift it is a falcon mf-50 and st-EF-50 rapid fire shifter. My problem is when I shift from low to mid shift it will go to high gear. The stops are set correcting and there is no barrel adjuster on the rapid fire shifter for fine tuning.I know my height may be to high . I have tied to lower the front derailleur but the inside of the derailleur hits the mid gear. what is the adjustment for this
are the rapidfire stock shifter?
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
stock with no barrel adjusters also the front derailleur does not have a barrel adjuster ,it is a Falcon MF -50
Can you upload some pictures?
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
If you are overshifting to a taller gear in the front, that indicates cable is too tight or you are using too much throw at the lever.
With the chain on the small ring and shifter set to '1', the cable should have just a tiny bit of slack in it. If it is tight, loosen pinch bolt and re-set.
You do not have to throw the lever through its full travel. Some shifters are made to allow for a 2x shift and it sometimes confuses folks.
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
(07-03-2011, 08:43 AM)RobAR Wrote:  If you are overshifting to a taller gear in the front, that indicates cable is too tight or you are using too much throw at the lever.
With the chain on the small ring and shifter set to '1', the cable should have just a tiny bit of slack in it. If it is tight, loosen pinch bolt and re-set.
You do not have to throw the lever through its full travel. Some shifters are made to allow for a 2x shift and it sometimes confuses folks.
I think I have found the problem ?????? I found a brake down of the st-ef50 shifter and it has a barrel adjuster this I will need to find for the fine adjustment. when down shifting from the big gear it bypasses the 2nd gear and goes right to high gear .I can up shift fine high gear to 2nd is great and up to low is fine. Purchased this bike used and got it cheap. I have changed tires out to 1.75 street tires raised the bars to 5: risers. Sould be a great bike for my riding. thanks for the help!!!!!
(07-03-2011, 03:39 PM)winter rider Wrote:  
(07-03-2011, 08:43 AM)RobAR Wrote:  If you are overshifting to a taller gear in the front, that indicates cable is too tight or you are using too much throw at the lever.
I think I have found the problem ?????? I found a brake down of the st-ef50 shifter and it has a barrel adjuster this I will need to find for the fine adjustment. when down shifting from the big gear it bypasses the 2nd gear and goes right to high gear .I can up shift fine high gear to 2nd is great and up to low is fine. Purchased this bike used and got it cheap. I have changed tires out to 1.75 street tires raised the bars to 5: risers. Sould be a great bike for my riding. thanks for the help!!!!!
installed barrel adjuster today seems to shift much better I may still need to fine tune it. thanks for all the help

Possibly Related Threads...