Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Crank Arm for '98 GT Palomar
Hey guys,

A couple of weeks ago I pulled my old '98 GT Palomar out of the garage and shortly thereafter snapped the right crank arm. I took it to the local shop, but am too broke to pay the $60 they want to fix it. I'm sure this is a very reasonable price, but outside my current ability to pay.

How do I go about finding a replacement crank arm for this bike without replacing the whole crank set? I'm confident I can do this repair myself, so if I could just find the part I think I'd be set and it would be more in my price range.

Any help you guys can provide is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance...
Try going to one of the city or county dumps and see if anyone tossed any bicycles that have a crankarm similar to yours. My brother has built several bikes from ones that he picked up at the dump.
HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe...Ride Hard...Ride Daily
pictures
Nigel
pound the pavement, I just bought a new old stock shimano road crank and rings for 25 bucks. seek and ye shall find
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(07-01-2011, 03:41 PM)HenryFatass Wrote:  Hey guys,

A couple of weeks ago I pulled my old '98 GT Palomar out of the garage and shortly thereafter snapped the right crank arm. I took it to the local shop, but am too broke to pay the $60 they want to fix it. I'm sure this is a very reasonable price, but outside my current ability to pay.

How do I go about finding a replacement crank arm for this bike without replacing the whole crank set? I'm confident I can do this repair myself, so if I could just find the part I think I'd be set and it would be more in my price range.

1) pics! Maybe Nigel or somebody else can deduce the cause of the fracture?
2) If one breaks check the other arm... might be damaged, too!

Oh, and good luck with the replacement!
Well mr fatass start off by update your bio so we know where you are from,that makes it easy for us to help you that way. take a pic that helps also. I have a lower end triple taper spline I will give you for free.if it fits its yours.at least you will be rolling again "Pay it Forward" as they say. I am not doing this for you as much as I am the next 10 people you will help.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
It is a shimano exage 200 28/38/48 biopace off my daughters 12 inch frame 26in. wheel 21speed MTB she started riding when she was 5yrs old. she would love for you to have it. she is 25yrs old now and it is time for me to "let Go"