Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Help with old Schwinn!
I found this bike when my great grandfather passed away, my dad and grandfather were just going to throw it away but I couldn't allow that happen. So I have been looking around and cant find a serial number on the bike. Does anybody have an idea what sort of Schwinn this is and where I can locate the serial number?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bodenholland/5898385784/in/photostream/
cool bike do not throw that away. look close at the headtube and bottom bracket area or rear dropout area is where most numbers are. its a keeper and I would ride proudly just like it is
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
http://www.schwinncruisers.com/vintage-schwinn-bikes/

The above site may help you identify what you have.

Definitely a keeper Smile
Nigel
Thank you so much, the serial number was located rear dropout area and is D969163 after looking it up I think it was produced in 1948. I am not certain about this so if anybody else knows please feel free to correct me.
april 9 of 59 according to this link http://www.angelfire.com/rant/allday101/SchwinnCodes3.html
looks older than that to me?
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Im not sure about the model of the bike but the serial number does match up with 59 maybe it was a Panther 2? But the chain guard doesn’t look correct for a 59 panther.
The chain guard looks schwinn to me and the patina appears to match the rest of the bike,You will drive yourself crazy deciding what to do next with that bike won't you? Gosh,I wish I were in your shoes this round

In think you have a schwinn wasp on your hands my dear chap, time to get a paper route I would say.that is what they did with those bikes
Ha yes I have already started to go crazy, my plans are to restore the bike for my mother, but I want to do an accurate restoration, that however is easier said than done.
52 to 59 they made the wasp thats what it is absolutely

look up schwinn wasp sticker a guy is selling one. it is for the chainguard. there is your first score and you can thank later! have fun
Yup it is a wasp alright, well thanks again you have been a great help.
I guess you found the info you needed. That looks like a 1950s bike to me. I probably rode a bike like that back then.

If you want to read through some old Schwinn catalogs, here's a link you'll enjoy.

http://www.trfindley.com/pg_schwinn_cats.htm

If I were you I wouldn't do much to it except maybe clean up the dirt and grease, maybe polish the chrome. If you try to do much more you might decrease the value to true collectors.

Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!