Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

*Clinking* Noise
Sorry if this is answered somewhere else, but I tried my best to google search this. So far, I've found nothing that matches my problem.

I'm also a first-time poster and relatively new biker, so please bear with my extreme lack of knowledge!

Bike: Stock 2011 Jake the Snake CX

Problem: *Clinking* Noise that seemingly emanates from inside the downtube, but most likely attributed to the crankset area. Noise only comes when I move the pedals either forward or backward by approximately 45 degrees or when I move (no force on pedals) the bike itself backwards but NOT forward.

This problem started after a few days of some big curbs and off-road trails. Changing front and rear gears don't seem to help. I've also checked to see if it was the chain rubbing against the derailleur...but it doesn't seem like that's the problem. I can only guess that something came loose?

Any advice is helpful. Thanks!
I am thinking that the noise sounds like it is in the downtube, but may actually be in the head tube area. Something may have loosened up from your riding. Have you tried turning the pedals with the bike supported without a rider?
(07-08-2011, 11:14 AM)RBurrelli Wrote:  I am thinking that the noise sounds like it is in the downtube, but may actually be in the head tube area. Something may have loosened up from your riding. Have you tried turning the pedals with the bike supported without a rider?

Yep, the sound exists even supported without a rider.

A bit of an update - I brought it back to the shop and apparently its not an easy fix that they could do, so they gave me back the bike until they received a tool from Kona.

So I brought the bike home, decided it had to be something to do with the pedals not rotating cleanly within the crank set. I brought out the WD-40 and lubricated the part where the pedals connect to the crank set. Low and behold, the sound disappeared.

So I'm guessing this has something to do with some mechanism in that area?
The shop that built the bike probably forgot to grease the pedal threads. And you just opened a massive can of worms...wd-40 is not a lubricant Big Grin
If you had inexpensive steel pedals, it could have been some rust around the shaft and the platform. Spraying the area with WD-40 may have penetrated the rust, but you may find that it is also going to penetrate whatever grease is in the bearings. Good thing is that platform pedals are not expensive.
HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe...Ride Hard...Ride Daily
All I know is that everything on the bike is stock and I haven't swapped any hardware...I've got plastic pedals? (Sorry for my lack of knowledge!)

The WD-40's been working so far at least...haven't heard any of those terrible noises in the past. Maybe I should get lubricants specifically for bikes?

Any recommendations on bike lubricants?
Don't go for anything too fancy. Automotive (or better marine?) grease, a chain lubricant (I use the Finish Line stuff, ok the ceramics dry stuff is -probably too- fancy), and maybe some light oil. Also: degreaser (from the dept. store) and lots of rags (old T-shirts and stuff).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post