Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Fork fail
Well I was riding the bike slowly about the street after changing a Tyre, as I made a turn I felt a funny movement in the bike. so I jumped of think the head set was loose, that wasn't it jumped back on and cycled again to see if turning still felt different, it did a bit. Then I realized the fork has bent out the ways.

[attachment=2633]

[attachment=2634]

[attachment=2635]

Thankfully I wasn't flying down a hill at the time. These are steel forks I never noticed a dent or anything on them and really I don’t think both fork legs should give in at the same time. The way the forks have gone is the legs on both sides seemed to bent inwards. I have been riding this bike for just less than a month, before I had it back together I did notice that the forks were quite light for steel ones compared to my Raleigh’s fork. So my thinking is the gauge of steel was to thin and it gave out due to the load.

I have another fork from a Raleigh activator to go on the frame it will never give out as it weights a ton. But does anyone have any advice about inspecting a frame and fork for possible under line damage? Or has any one seen a fork go like this.
WOW !!

I would hazzard a guess that the forks (whole bike?) was in a major fork bending accident, and that someone bent the fork back to appear correct; but actually damaged them worse in the process.
Nigel
I have done that to brand new forks taking huge jumps and landing on both wheels at the same time instead of the rear wheel first. It does happen but i have never seen it done merely riding the bike normal. Frames are lifetime warranty and forks are usually only one year. Just make sure to inspect the headtube area for damage.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"

Possibly Related Threads...