Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Altering my IGH Ridgeback Flight 04
Ok so I just bought a Ridgeback Flight 04.

spec here: http://www.ridgeback.co.uk/bike/flight-04

it's beautiful and I love it, BUT, if I could I would change the internal hub gear. Why? The range isn't QUITE what I want and it's heavy and inefficient, it would be nicer if I had a usual sprocket / derailleur set.

Why did I spend £1000 on a bike I didn't really want? I didn't it was going for £300 on ebay and the frame and forks alone are worth that much!

So:

1) Anyone got any big reasons why I should just keep the gear Hub? I want to do some touring on my bike (rode Holland to Geneva last year and it was amazing) so I want a fast efficient bike so I don't get left behind by my friends am I right that putting on a nice like sprocket set will make a decent difference or will it not be noticeable?

2) It is even possible? Can I put a sprocket and derailleur set on this bike, will I need entirely new wheels for that? will it fit with the disc brakes?

3) Say I want to the keep the Hub but I want to put a double or triple chainset on the front of the bike to give me the range that I'll need to climb mountains and race down the other side... can I do that with this bike?? I doesn't look to me like a standard bb setup so I don't even know it that kind of thing will fit.

What are my options?
stix.
Internal hubs are considered to be more or less maintenance free: you should not need to, cannot (and should not) mess around with it (well, I do know people who actually do that). Converting to a sprocket dérailleur system means you have to replace about everything: Rear wheel, cables, chain, crank set, shifters...
Internal hub + front dérailleur works only if you don't have a hub brake. You would then also need a chain tensioner (can use a dérailleur for that). Don't know if the chain would work, though. I guess you'd have to replace the chain and the rear sprocket for a narrower version.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

11-19-2012, 11:29 PM
Last Post: RobAR