Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Dirty squeaky chain...
I've had my bike for about 8 months now and every since I got it, it has always had this weird squeaking problem. When it first started, I checked and lubed everything. I even took it in to be serviced, but the problem remained. After a while I noticed that when I cleaned and lubed my chain the squeaking would go away, but after about 15 miles of riding the squeak would return. I eventually read on some bicycle maintenance website that some chains squeak when they get dirty. Is there any thing I can do to stop this from happening? I've tried both wet and try lubes. And I still get the squeaking after about 15miles of riding. Could it be something other than the chain?

Some lightweight lubes will dry out very quick, but if you're getting the same problem with different lubes, I'd be suspicious it's not the chain. Try to carry a little bottle of lube with you. When you hear the squeak, lube the chain right then. If it goes away, great. If not, probably something other than the chain.
The heat that generates as you ride will thin the grease in your bearings somewhat and can sometimes allows squeaks after riding for a while. It could also be your crank arms, stem, or even the seat.
Try to narrow down exactly what conditions cause the sound:<br />
- only while pedaling, or coasting too<br />
- in particular gears or any combination<br />
- squeeks in time with the pedal rotation, wheel rotation, or something else<br />
- worse when putting more pressure on the pedals (like going uphill)
I'd go around and check all bolts for looseness and tighten down the bolts that hold the crankarms on. If you're riding a fair amount, might be time to get a new chain anyway. Replacing it regualrly will prevent wear on your chainrings and cogs.

Thanks Dave for your feedback. I haven't checked the crank arms. I've had the bottom bracket looked at and I switched the chain. The squeak is still there. I'll take a look at the crank arms tonight. The squeak is only noticeable when I pedal, not when I coast. Lately the squeak is pretty consistent with the pedal rotation as well.
Thanks again for your help. Sorry for responding so late.

Try:<br />
- tighten crank arms<br />
- remove pedals, grease threads, and reinstall<br />
- pull out and regrease seatpost<br />
- also could be your seat
Those little squeeks are a pain to track down!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post