Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Shiman RD 5600 Upgrade
Hello

Can anybody recommend an upgrade to the 105 RD 5600 Long Cage?

I've tried to set it up, but it seems very temperamental.

Would the Ultegra be a better bet.

Bike is a Specialized Allez Como 2010 with 105 Group Set.

Thanks in anticipation

Peter
Well, the Ultegra is higher up the group hierarchy and in tests shows that is is (as a complete group) slightly better. However, I cannot remember if this was mostly due to weight being worth some points. I seem to recall that most comments for the past years have been along the line: Oh, yes, the Ultegra performs slightly better in the lab but you would probably not notice on the road...

So: In principle, yes. A real upgrade would be the Dura Ace Di2 (though mostly in time trial where you now can have shift buttons both in the aero bars and on the brake levers and cyclocross where the auto tuning comes in handy after accumulating tons of yuck in the drive train).

What is wrong with sticking to the 105 (maybe the current version)?

---
Edit: And I doubt that the rear dérailleur alone will make a huge impact anyway...
(02-13-2012, 07:06 AM)Joe_W Wrote:  Well, the Ultegra is higher up the group hierarchy and in tests shows that is is (as a complete group) slightly better. However, I cannot remember if this was mostly due to weight being worth some points. I seem to recall that most comments for the past years have been along the line: Oh, yes, the Ultegra performs slightly better in the lab but you would probably not notice on the road...

So: In principle, yes. A real upgrade would be the Dura Ace Di2 (though mostly in time trial where you now can have shift buttons both in the aero bars and on the brake levers and cyclocross where the auto tuning comes in handy after accumulating tons of yuck in the drive train).

What is wrong with sticking to the 105 (maybe the current version)?

---
Edit: And I doubt that the rear dérailleur alone will make a huge impact anyway...

Thanks Joe_W

Maybe it's a question of set-up then.

Whenever I am in the highest or lowest gear, the chain rubs on the Front Derailleur. I have adjusted both the FD and RD but cannot get away from this. Is that just a feature that I should put up with?

The problem I have right now is that I can down-shift ok, but when I up-shift, the change is 'lazy' on the middle cogs.

i.e There is a delay in the shift.

What do I need to adjust to overcome this?

Thanks

Peter
Hi Peter. As you mentioned that your 5600 is a Long Cage (GS ?), I will assume that you have a triple up front. If so, your situation isn't uncommon and really isn't a problem unless there is more to it than you have relayed to us.
You say "Whenever I am in the highest or lowest gear," do you mean up front? Are you aware that the 105 shifters have a Trim feature? That is - if you move the blade or wing in the direction that you want to go, but not enough to complete a shift, you should feel several very light 'clicks' in the ratchet that effectively only move the drlr a very small amount. It's very subtle and a lot of people never notice it. Let us know if that doesn't resolve that issue.

On the matter of delay in shifting; start with the easy stuff. Is the rear drlr clean and its pulleys in good shape? Do you ever lube the pivot pins? Has anyone messed with the B Tension screw?
Just to be sure we are all on the same page - an up-shift is coming down the stack to smaller cogs, yes? If the drlr checks okay, this is most often an indication that it's time for new cables, inner & housing.

In closing - if it came down to me being able to run only one Shimano road groupo, it would be 105! The price is right and the performance is there.

Let us know how things go!

Rob
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
(02-13-2012, 06:50 PM)RobAR Wrote:  Hi Peter. As you mentioned that your 5600 is a Long Cage (GS ?), I will assume that you have a triple up front. If so, your situation isn't uncommon and really isn't a problem unless there is more to it than you have relayed to us.
You say "Whenever I am in the highest or lowest gear," do you mean up front? Are you aware that the 105 shifters have a Trim feature? That is - if you move the blade or wing in the direction that you want to go, but not enough to complete a shift, you should feel several very light 'clicks' in the ratchet that effectively only move the drlr a very small amount. It's very subtle and a lot of people never notice it. Let us know if that doesn't resolve that issue.

On the matter of delay in shifting; start with the easy stuff. Is the rear drlr clean and its pulleys in good shape? Do you ever lube the pivot pins? Has anyone messed with the B Tension screw?
Just to be sure we are all on the same page - an up-shift is coming down the stack to smaller cogs, yes? If the drlr checks okay, this is most often an indication that it's time for new cables, inner & housing.

In closing - if it came down to me being able to run only one Shimano road groupo, it would be 105! The price is right and the performance is there.

Let us know how things go!

Rob

Thanks RobAR

I got confused with my Tricoss which has a long cage. It's a Compact Double and has a short cage.

The bike is about 18 months old. I have cleaned all the gears and sprockets as well as the chain and gear cable, so I'm confident it's all good, clean and working properly.

I must confess I didn't know about the trim feature - I'll certainly give that a go.

I'll also try some small adjustments to the cable tightness as this may help.

Thanks for your input.

Peter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post