Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Mtn Bike to Hybrid conversion
i would like to make the gears on my Mtn bike a little taller and Ive noticed hybrid bikes have a larger front gear ring (48-52) but i was wondering if i can get a slightly higher geared rear cassette and keep the rear derailleur and and front gearing the same (its new)
First, how many speed you got on the back?? Then check if you can find a cassette or freewheel (depending on what kind of hub you got on the rear wheel) with a smaller set of cogs... Also check if your rear derailleur can take the difference of size from a new cassette (or freewheel) to the old one

You may have also to shorten a bit the chain...

A couple of things to think about but everything's possible!!!
My question would be this, you have a mountain bike so what kind of riding do you want to do? is your real question " canI get more top end speed from my mtb"
If thats it , what is your smallest cog and largest cog on your rear cluster right now. And what are your front rings.
I prefer an 11t for a small on most of my rides
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(08-09-2011, 07:30 PM)bobtravers Wrote:  First, how many speed you got on the back?? Then check if you can find a cassette or freewheel (depending on what kind of hub you got on the rear wheel) with a smaller set of cogs... Also check if your rear derailleur can take the difference of size from a new cassette (or freewheel) to the old one

You may have also to shorten a bit the chain...

A couple of things to think about but everything's possible!!!

how do you check if your rear derailleur can take the difference of size from a new cassette (or freewheel) to the old one
best way is to look it up in the manual for the derailleur; often easy to find online.

If you told us more about the bike, we could be much more helpful:

Please answer:
* number of speeds on the back
* brand and model of rear derailleur
* current teeth count on the smallest and largest cogs on the cassette/freewheel.
* do you have a cassette or a freewheel
* current number of teeth on your chainrings
* where do you intend to ride
Nigel
It would be rare to have any problem with your rear derailleur going to higher gearing on the cassette. How much higher gearing you can get just depends on what your highest gear is in back now. I think you can go down to an 11 tooth with no problem on most modern bikes.

If you drastically change the gearing, you may need to shorten the chain, but a 1 or 2 tooth difference probably won't need that.

It is possible to go larger on the front, but that could get more complicated. If you go up more than a couple teeth, you may need a new front derailleur, a new bottom bracket, and/or a longer chain. Remember that losing 1 or 2 teeth in the back makes a much bigger difference that adding 1-2 teeth in the front. (It's the percentage change that matters, not just the number of teeth added/subtracted.)

If you can't get enough change from just changing the cassette, try changing your largest front chainring up a few teeth. If you don't go too far, you should be able to do this without buying any other parts
This is a lot of great information and i would like to thank everyone for their time
the whole story is i bought a new mountain bike that far surpasses my old one but i like the old one so much i want to convert it into a commuter bike
it already has a 7 speed 24-11t rear cassette but even at top gear i still out pedal the gears

i would like to buy new wheels, hubs, tires and cassette (it need most of this stuff anyway) and i would like to gear slightly higher. if i could do this i think the old bike will be an awesome hybrid for years to come

any suggestions for a $150.00 to $200.00 budget i would be looking for stability and durability the bike would see paved and dirt roads and beach trails and the only person i am racing is father time.

current equipment
rear derailleur old Acera X but in very good condition
7 speed 24-11t rear cassette
(08-10-2011, 09:01 PM)Dagwood121 Wrote:  .......
7 speed 24-11t rear cassette

I suspect you miss counted; as there were no 7 speed cassettes made with 11t smallest sprockets. The 7 speed cassette hubs will only work with 12T minimum. And are you positive it is a cassette and not a freewheel?

Please answer the rest of the question on your chainrings, above.

And in addition, what size tires are you currently using?

A good wheelset costs $300- and up. Why do you want to replace your current wheelset? It is much cheaper to rebuild and tune-up what you have.
Nigel
Nigel, Yes they do make an 11t cassette. It is what i run on my geared up bikes. A common one would be 11t -28t or 11t -30t
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
give us better info, pics and such. If you indeed have an 11t your only option is to change the front rings or the whole crank itself. What kind of shifters you have might come into play also. I slapped a 39t/53t in place a triple on my commuter.
(08-10-2011, 09:51 PM)painkiller Wrote:  Nigel, Yes they do make an 11t cassette. It is what i run on my geared up bikes. A common one would be 11t -28t or 11t -30t

Thanx; all the 7 speed hubs I have seen didn't have the threading to take the 11t sprocket.....guess I learned something today.

I like to learn something new every day; so now I am covered for today Smile
Nigel
it is one of the first swaps i do on my shimano equipped mtbs. then I go for the front rings. If I go
more than 2t on the big I will go 2t on the small also and that keeps the front derailluer in range. since I am about 30% offroad anymore
if dagwood wants to do it balls to the wall I say double ring and make it sing! $200 budget if he shops as good as you do Nigel he could do it. remember my Trek remake posting it used to be a triple ring 7spd rear. swapped out the grip shifts for deore top mounts my favorite for this type conversion.
http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-2785.html
I wish dagwood would post pics, we could hook him up sweet!

Possibly Related Threads...