Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Weird noise from front wheel
I have a road bike and it's making this intermittent "ping" noise. It sounds like a spoke is hitting the fork, but I have checked that and it's not the case. Also I would assume that if that were the case the noise would be more regular (every rotation). Could it be the wheel bearings starting to go to hell?
Yes. Try taking the wheel off and spinning the axle by hand. If that feels at all rough, you should open it up and inspect.

Other things could be a loose spoke or maybe even a loose reflector. Maybe check the rim for any signs of cracks at the spoke holes or the seam where it was joined (this is opposite the valve hole and is where the rim was bent into a circle and joined together.)
how new is the wheel?

It could be the spokes stress relieving if it is a recently trued or built wheel. If this is the case; the wheel should be trued, retensioned, stress relieved, trued, repeat last two until truing is no longer required.
Nigel
I bought the bike from a dude on Craigslist about 3 years ago, so I have no idea how old the wheel is. So it seems like that's not the case. Thanks for the info though.
(08-12-2011, 12:35 AM)fatmike1968 Wrote:  I bought the bike from a dude on Craigslist about 3 years ago, so I have no idea how old the wheel is. So it seems like that's not the case. Thanks for the info though.

Then Dave's suggestions are the ones to follow up on:
1. bearings
2. cracked rim
3. cracked hub

But double check every spoke as well.
Nigel

Possibly Related Threads...