Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Upgrading questions
Hi All
I've been riding for awhile, but usually had my LBS do any work on my bike so my knowledge on repairs etc is very limited. I have a Rocky Mountain Vapor, I think it is a 2007. I usually ride the road and dykes, some trail. Instead of buying a new bike, I decided to do some upgrades (which I will do myself). I want to do the forks, possibly change brakes to disc and the drive system. So I have a bunch of questions:
1) are an upgrade to disc brakes worth it? I have been happy with my v brakes
2) when I upgrade the drive system, I have read that a 10 speed is the way to go, thoughts anyone?
3) when upgrading the drive, does that mean a new bb, cranks, cassette, shifters all at one time? Especially if I move to 2 rings from my current 3?

Hope this post makes sense and I can get some help. Thanks
Welcome aboard Cyrus;

1. disc brakes make sense in deep water/mud and if you have long fast descents. They add considerable weight, and under normal conditions provide no performance advantage.
2. Why? 10 speed chains and sprockets wear faster. Is your current gear ratios spaced too far apart? Or you need lower and/or taller gears? Our tandem currently has a seven speed cassette 12 to 28. In the coming months, it will get a nine speed cassette 11-34; which will provide closer ratios, and two additional lower gears for climbing. I would have liked a 13-34; but am not interested in custom assembling a cassette at this time.
3. going from a triple to a double almost always means a new BB. With regards the front shifter; if it is indexed, you'll need a new one, if it is friction old will work find. The rear shifter has to match the number of gears on the cassette.

Why are you changing your drivetrain? What benefits do you expect?
Nigel
Thanks for the feedback. I've had the bike for about six years now and was wanting upgrade to a whole new bike, but since that is no longer an option, I decided to upgrade components. So I guess the upgrade was to improve overall performance.
If a whole new bike is not an option it sounds like a money issue to me. but with what you describe as wanted upgrades you would have to spend a lot of jack to pull it off. I would recommend 1. your happy leave the v-brakes alone
2.re-gear the rear..say 11t or 12t forget the 10 speed thang
3.keep the triple, go up 2t on the granny and up 2t on the outer
4. fork, well go carbon rigid
5. go with a smaller higher pressure tire
this setup would be the cheapest way street rod your mtb. It would still cost 2 to 3 hundred
bucks. My last triple to double mod cost me around $400 or so
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Hmmm...
Yeah all things you people written are Right...
I was gonna suggesting the Disk brakes for your Rocky Mountain Vapor if you dont wanna buy a new bicycle ...
Keep your cycle filled with the air pressure this would be a plus point for your riding
(08-21-2011, 11:07 PM)painkiller Wrote:  If a whole new bike is not an option it sounds like a money issue to me. but with what you describe as wanted upgrades you would have to spend a lot of jack to pull it off. I would recommend 1. your happy leave the v-brakes alone
2.re-gear the rear..say 11t or 12t forget the 10 speed thang
3.keep the triple, go up 2t on the granny and up 2t on the outer
4. fork, well go carbon rigid
5. go with a smaller higher pressure tire
this setup would be the cheapest way street rod your mtb. It would still cost 2 to 3 hundred
bucks. My last triple to double mod cost me around $400 or so
PK; great suggestions.
4. I would suggest considering a rigid cro-mo fork; much cheaper than carbon, and similar benefits, but not quite as good.
Nigel

Possibly Related Threads...