Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Tension Pulley
I have an SRAM APEX rear and front derailleur, shifters, and crankset. I noticed today that when I'm in my front big wheel and in the big cogs in the back, the chain pops out of the tension pulley. I tried using the derailleur adjustment, but the chain keeps coming out of the tension pulley. The chain does not go back on the pulley when I shift into other cogs. I can still ride, but I know that this will not be good for the bike.

Got any suggestions?

Thanks,

gymstreet
Your not really supposed ot ride with the biggest chainring and biggest cog.But you could try adjusting the tension if you didn't already. (set screw where derailed meats frame)
The quieter you become the more you are able to hear
General rule of thumb; smallest chainring with the largest 75% of cassette/freewheel cogs, largest chainring with smallest 75% of cassetter/freewheel cogs.

Thus is you have an 8 speed cassette; you can use the six largest cogs with your small chainring and six smallest cogs with you large chainring.

Some experienced bicyclists will set up the chain too short to use the large - large combination - for performance reasons - actually trying to shift into the large-large with a too short of chain will destroy the RD and possibly wipe out a large number of spokes......
Nigel

Possibly Related Threads...