Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Upgrading Jockey Pulleys
The next time I change my chain I am going to also replace my chainrings and cassette. I'm also thinking I will replace my jockey pulleys. Right now I have a stock Dura-ace 7800 rear derailleur...what should I buy such that it will be an upgrade?

***Edit***
Just took a quick look at bikeparts.com...not sure I'm ready to plunk down for ceramics.
_sd... how much money you gots? Smile

Seriously though... if you have DA pulleys in a DA drlr, you won't get any better than that. Be careful how you use the word 'upgrade', too.

Some ppl use it very loosely to indicate that they merely swapped components because it was the 'in thing' or a really cool expensive anodized machined part. "Dude! Check out this 3-D Violet clamp I ...". Don't go there. Still got some money? Smile

Others truly DO upgrade from Dura Ace to something in a sexy ceramic flavor with style. I just don't get it. You can't tell the diff on the bike.
Put your wallet back. You ain't got no money, anyway. Smile
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
There are a vast amount of small companies turning out anodized, alloys from the planet Zog and other bike candy. As has just been said , that is not an upgrade but a replacement for a worn out part. It does not make your bike any faster, but is an important part of your drivetrain. Remove and lube plus clean well and they will last for a long time. Ride safe.
My rationale for replacing my jockey wheels is that my small chain ring is very worn, and since the jockey wheels are soft plastic, they must be worn as well, but I don't see any visual evidence of wear. I wasn't sure if it would be cost effective for the tiny amount of performance gained if I replaced them with something the next step up from dura ace, but I think I'll just stick with a like for like replacement. Thanks for the advice!
On the chainrings and cogs, there is a large amount of force placed by the chain, so they wear out. Although jockeys are only plastic, there is very little force on them since they just guide the chain, so they wear much slower. The teeth will eventually wear out and you may get issues with the chain slipping off. More often, the wear is internal as the bearings or bushings they spin on get rough. I would take off the pulleys, clean up, and see how they spin. If they still feel clean and smooth, no benefit to changing. Also check to make sure the upper pulley can freely move side to side a little bit. This is important to shifting. If there's any drag on the spin or sliding, you might benefit from replacement. +1 to everyone else's comments about aftermarket pulleys. Pretty, but they probably don't work any better and usually cost a lot more.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

08-10-2017, 07:04 PM
Last Post: Painkiller

11-29-2009, 08:47 PM
Last Post: thoggard