Bicycle TutorBicycle Tutor

Show off your bike!

Related video tutorials:
Seat Tube machining
A bike I'm working on has a seat tube that is extremely tight for a post. I used a vice and ruined the previous post that was inside it.

I plan on using a hone to smooth out the ID of the tube and slightly enlarge it. It'll be a challenge putting a bike frame to this machine. Does anyone have any alternatives to reworking the ID of a seat tube that are maybe hand fixes?
Are you sure you have the correct seat post diameter? I have been a bike mechanic for a long time and have only used a reamer for corrosion build up. Go to a bike shop and get the post and seat tube matched.
(09-12-2011, 03:44 PM)ghost Wrote:  Are you sure you have the correct seat post diameter? I have been a bike mechanic for a long time and have only used a reamer for corrosion build up. Go to a bike shop and get the post and seat tube matched.

The post and tube match. I will look into a reamer. I work in a machine shop where we do not use reamers too much and a hone provides a smoother finish. Downside is it is a fixed spindle machine.
it will be much easier to reduce the size of the seat tube!!! especially if it is alloy, you can do it just by rubbing down by hand with sandpaper.
but I ditto Ghost.
depending on the size of the seat tube one can match a seat tube shim and a smaller seatpost to suit your needs. many bikes come stock with seat tube spacers and they come in a variety of sizes.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
I like "ghost's" suggestion as well. Machining, sanding, or altering a seat tube in any way can be dangerous. It would tend to weaken the seat tube possibly resulting in bodily injury.

Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!
Thanks for all the replies. After all the messing around I found a post to match the tube.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to fix your tight seat tube by honing (video) painkiller 2 3,854 10-30-2014, 11:11 PM
Last Post: painkiller
  Simple Seat Post/Tube question from a MTB newbie NewbieAM 6 15,997 09-23-2010, 07:56 PM
Last Post: jinxy72
  Seat post stuck in seat tube danr2013 1 7,804 08-30-2010, 01:48 AM
Last Post: Bill