Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Where can I find the tool for my bottom bracket?
I have an older bike I purchased at a thrift store. I stripped all the paint off and repainted the bike. I want to overhaul the bottom bracket but I cannot find the tool to do so. It is a crank cotter pin set up but I have no idea where to find this tool. I need help!!! Thanks
What does the other side look like?

The design may be intended to have the other side removed first, then pull the axle, and this side would then be easy to remove.

So far; I purchased my BB removal tools from Amazon (and a BIG crescent wrench from Harbor Freight).
Nigel
both sides look the same, they are flat with the 2 little square fittings for a certain type of wrench or tool. Thanks for the response.

Chris
this should work
http://www.parktool.com/product/adjustable-cup-wrench-hcw-11
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Ye its different, most like that are outies ( the center stands out) not innies like yours.

Maybe someone will recommend a tool. If not you may have to spin it out with a drift pin or chisel and a hammer, not pretty.

Whatever you do soak it with penetrating oil the night before. The drive side might be reverse thread.
Never Give Up!!!
the tool in my link will do both
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Oh man thats looks like the perfect tool for the job! Thanks a lot for the help!

Chris
Hi Chris;

Today I started working on my Miyata 310; and found on the left side it has exactly what your bike has. There is a lock ring that I removed first - needed some hammer taps to do that; then I was able to use my pin wrench to remove the cup - it should have very little torque on the left side (not chain side). The other side is a different style, with two flats at about 34mm. I have a BIG adjustable crescent style wrench for that. The drive side should be really torqued tight.

When I put it back together, I put the drive side (right) in first, and torque it down tight. The non drive (left) side goes in last, and adjust to so that the crank feels good. Next comes the lock ring. After snugging the lock ring by hand, I used my pin wrench to hold the cup, while cranking on the spanner to tighten the lock ring. Double check the crank feel.

I wish I had the Park HCW 11 that PK posted. Smile Much better solution than the pin wrench - needed the pin wrench for my SR Sierra Sport.
Nigel
Nigel

When I first took the bottom bracket off to overhaul it, I had to use the hammer and pin method, not fun. I never want to damage the bike. The HCW 11 tool arrived yesterday and worked perfectly. Thanks for everyone's help on this subject!

Chris
you are quite welcome sir! as for the stubborn lock rings I carefully use a pipe wrench and it works great and saves your knuckles too.

Possibly Related Threads...