Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Replacing Forks
I am on my first of hopefully many cycle tours with my girlfriend. Last week she crashed into a small boy on a bike and although both people were fine, her bike took some serious damage. So now we need to replace the front forks of her bike. Its a Cannondale t800. The local bike store is going to try to contact Cannondale to see if they can ship us a replacement. We are in Kathmandu and the chances of us finding a replacement here are nill. The problem is we are not sure if we can afford the replacement + shipping costs. do you think it would be possible to attach some non - Cannondale forks to the bike, and what information/sizes do I need to start looking for them. I am fairly certain that the headset is threadless.

-Thanks
It is (if google is to be trusted) a rigid fork, threadless, 1 1/8" headset. In general: to make it to the next bigger town any threadless fork with a 1 1/8" diameter steerer should work. However, handling depends critically on the rake / trail of the fork. Measure the fork (unless it was bent during the crash...). What is interesting for you is: where does the line running trough the steerer hit the road in relation to the spot the wheel sits on the road. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_and_motorcycle_geometry
Try to find one that is as close as possible, otherwise you might end up with an unrideable bike. Maybe you can contact Cannondale for the specs?
thank you for the information, I am learning . . . slowly. I have seen a set of Surly Long Haul Trucker forks, that I could get shipped from the us. The rake is 45mm, its 53 on the Cannondale. Do you think this would be a close enough match?
Thanks
Let's find out!
Ok, trail is calculated by:
t= (R * cos(alpha) - r)/sin(alpha)

R=wheel radius, r=rake, alpha=steerer angle
According to people more knowledgeable than I, a trail of 50mm - 70mm is (was?) considered ok. Reducing rake increases trail. I guess that on your bike alpha=73° (around that) and t=51mm in the "normal" config. An increase should not be bad.
However: I am not a framebuilder, could somebody else check the numbers? C'mon, someone has to have the Paterek manual (or somesuch)...
Hi thanks for the help Joe_W. After hours online and after many emails later we have decided to go for some Kona project 2 forks, as they were a much cheaper option for us. We are just waiting for delivery then we can set off again!

Hope they fit ok.

Thanks again, Laurence
Awesome! Hope everything works out well and you enjoy the tour!