Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Project Fuji
(10-21-2011, 09:05 PM)painkiller Wrote:  Update : Parts are slowly coming in. I have made a parts list of actual and projected weights of parts that I do not have in my hand yet. I think I am on target for 20LBs or under and $2000.oo or under. Last calculations bring me in @ 17. 8 LBs
I have been able to stick to about 3 manufacturers of components to make the bike seem as though factory spec Frankenstein. As far as beauty well, that would be in eyes of the beholder. A fine balance between sturdy quality components and grams and dollars. Where I come from I would say that the bike will be quite " fugglie " at best. We shall see

I really want to see this thing finished let us see photos of the parts you have and on the scale if possible. still cant get over the chainstay design its a really distinguishing feature on that bike.
"factory spec Frankenstein"
I like that 'ttude! Get more progress pics!
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
here are a few actual weights of some of the components i have ready. all in Grams. the seat,BB,fork and pedals came in higher than expected. But still think I am on target for the 20LB. or under goal
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Wow some nice components. Nice of your wife to let you use her kitchen scale. :-)

Shimano still makes biopace cranks? What BB is that.
Never Give Up!!!
Nos on the crank,I picked it in texas for $25 still in the box. the BB is a sinz carbon Ti
The hubs, shifters, front and rear deraileur are also Nos deoreII / Dx
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(10-25-2011, 06:58 AM)painkiller Wrote:  Nos on the crank,I picked it in texas for $25 still in the box. the BB is a sinz carbon Ti
The hubs, shifters, front and rear deraileur are also Nos deoreII / Dx

That's what I'm talking about. Nice Nice stuff. If in case you feel a bit bothered the Hollowtech 2 BB and cranks come in at just under 800g and there are some quill pedals on ebay for £13 and weigh 256g pair. i've used them so i know they work and look good too just not anodised but plain aloy silver theyre the lightest i've come across. the fork is not bad though or vbrakes. would you like to donate the bike to my charity when its done as you will be helping out a good cause - a commuter who will ride it 30 miles mon to fri and helping our earth at the same time. keep those lovely photos coming very cool indeed.
hcjg you have been a great help for sure! I could have shaved weight on pedals for sure but the sole purpose of this bike is to be agile, fast, and responsive. I have to be able to to take my foot off the pedals and get back in the power quickly without fumbling for the right side of the pedal or clips and i cannot have my foot slipping off either so that is why I chose the style I did. Plus they blend with the brakeset I had to buy because of the price i found on the black ones.
Still trying to keep in the $2000 dollar range which would have been tough If I had to buy the newer style cranks. I always liked the bio-pace and for $25 I had to make the call. Plus mind you they are a nice match to the Deore Dx Hubs,Top mount Shifters, front and rear derailleurs, all of which are new old stock gems
I will add more pics soon as i get the next round of parts. I still need bars/ends, stem, chain, rear cluster, cable/housing
as for your charity I wish I could help the cause but you would not like to ride such an eyesore any way. If i ever hit the lottery I will keep you in mind I promise.
I wish Alex had a Biketutur.com sticker to dress it up a bit
(10-25-2011, 05:44 PM)painkiller Wrote:  hcjg you have been a great help for sure! I could have shaved weight on pedals for sure but the sole purpose of this bike is to be agile, fast, and responsive. I have to be able to to take my foot off the pedals and get back in the power quickly without fumbling for the right side of the pedal or clips and i cannot have my foot slipping off either so that is why I chose the style I did. Plus they blend with the brakeset I had to buy because of the price i found on the black ones.
Still trying to keep in the $2000 dollar range which would have been tough If I had to buy the newer style cranks. I always liked the bio-pace and for $25 I had to make the call. Plus mind you they are a nice match to the Deore Dx Hubs,Top mount Shifters, front and rear derailleurs, all of which are new old stock gems
I will add more pics soon as i get the next round of parts. I still need bars/ends, stem, chain, rear cluster, cable/housing
as for your charity I wish I could help the cause but you would not like to ride such an eyesore any way. If i ever hit the lottery I will keep you in mind I promise.

(10-28-2011, 10:46 PM)painkiller Wrote:  
(10-25-2011, 05:44 PM)painkiller Wrote:  hcjg you have been a great help for sure! I could have shaved weight on pedals for sure but the sole purpose of this bike is to be agile, fast, and responsive. I have to be able to to take my foot off the pedals and get back in the power quickly without fumbling for the right side of the pedal or clips and i cannot have my foot slipping off either so that is why I chose the style I did. Plus they blend with the brakeset I had to buy because of the price i found on the black ones.

sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
well, as you can see things start to add up fast. all above actual weights plus frame come in @15.8 lbs. leaving 4lbs for stem, handle bars, grips, cables/housing, spokes,rim strips,nipples, tubes and anything I may have forgotten.
The Trigon fork exceeded my expectations and is truly a work of art.with the strange shape of tubes on the frame and the curves of the fork I think they were meant to be. I still think I will be close to the 20lb. goal for the build. the original budget of $2000 or under may be tough to do. I will start to tally up and let you know the out come
Alittle project fuji update. had a little set back. I wanted silver Mavic XC717 rims thought I found a good deal and got scammed by a place called Green tire Bicycles. My card company backed me up at no cost to me, turns out I was not the only one and the feds shut them down after making national news.
I had some NOS Araya RM-20s laying around to use for the moment. Gained a half pound for now till I score some Silver mavics.
So I am in the mock-up stage of the build to set my bar height and place the right stackers before I cut the fork tube, Then ready to complete it.
here are a couple pics of what it will look like so far. The fugly is starting to grow on me a bit. It is taking shape and I am sure will be a gas to toss around. Tight light and right
Great write up 'killer! I wish there were more of these posted here. I have a restoration with a biopace crank waiting for me to find the time though.

Thanks,
Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!
(01-01-2012, 12:19 PM)KC-Steve Wrote:  Great write up 'killer! I wish there were more of these posted here. I have a restoration with a biopace crank waiting for me to find the time though.

Thanks,
Steve
Have fun with your resto Steve and be sure to post some pics. I love to see what other people are doing to enjoy the sport.
I did replace the outer ring with an alloy Bio-pace as I will mostly use the inner ring and the outer wears longer for the most part. It did save me 100 grams also
VERY NICE JOB!!!!!!!!!!! How has it turned out?
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Nice Painkiller look good LOl when u done building the bike can u delivery to me thanks .
jajajja
Thanks Bill, not quite done yet as been busy. Got the fork cut and the front end bolted up and all went well. I have to set the chainline, install the brakes and then decide which cable and housing system to use then it will be finished. I did have to make a couple changes in components from the pictures posted. Instead of the DeoreII shifters I used the DeoreXT because of the alloy clamp that would not mar the carbon bar. the Sinz BB was replaced with a TNT titanium for a more adjustable chainline, And the outer chainring to alloy. Decided not to use the black mavic xc717 as I want the silver instead but have only found one so far; to be laced with Sapim cxray spokes. The araya rm20s pictured will work for now but are supposed to be for the Amplifier restoration
Well Tino. If we ever hook up this year and your not fishing all the time
I will let you ride it at no charge! But you have to let me win because I am old. you may have to fight my son to take full possession as he thinks it will be his ( like he takes the garbage out without me threatening bodily harm or something)
I will post more when I am finished and hopefully some video of it in action
That's fair tino I'll take his Mongoose lol.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
I just read through this series of posts, and I have to congratulate you on your work and bike. Where did you get the thumb shifters? I'm thinking of doing a rebuild on an old mountain bike and my old shifters are getting wobbly and don't always stay in position.
Thank you Sparky for the kind remarks. We would like to see some pics of your up and coming resto. I get most of my NOS stuff on Ebay. Be fore warned that new and very good shape used components of that era command serious prices.
Some simple tips: check often and be diligent in your search and do not get upset if after you buy something you always find it again cheaper,because it always works that way. I know this because I probably bought it also. I deal mainly in high end 7speed Shimano from the day and have a pretty good Idea of what prices are for the Thumb shifters you asked about.
Perfect condition used DeoreII thumb shifters will go from $50.00 to $150.00. In NOS fashion will go for $100.00 to $200.00+ is the going rate. So If you see them for less than $50.00 jump on every one you can.
DeoreXT top mounts in great used condition will go from $100.00 to $200.00. In NOS fashion $200.00 to $350.00 and this is not a typo.
Here is a couple links to some right now, so sit down and have a look
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Shimano-Deore-ii-thumbshifters-7-speed-NOS-top-mount-mountain-bike-mtb-/350497389496?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item519b45bbb8#ht_1214wt_954

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-Deore-XT-ii-thumbshifters-7-speed-NOS-top-mount-mountain-bike-bicycle-/290617732867?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43aa2aaf03#ht_1047wt_954

As you will see they are Gold and becoming more rare as time goes by.
I have not finished the Fuji Yet and when I do I will post the outcome of my close to 20lbs as possible and my $2000.00 or under goal for this project. But can tell you now that it may even tip the $3000.00 mark.
So when you get ready to play, Instant message me with a list of what you need and I might be able to help a bit.
Thanks again, Bob
(01-13-2012, 08:18 PM)painkiller Wrote:  . . . I get most of my NOS stuff on Ebay. Be fore warned that new and very good shape used components of that era command serious prices.
. . . I deal mainly in high end 7speed Shimano from the day and have a pretty good Idea of what prices are for the Thumb shifters you asked about.
Perfect condition used DeoreII thumb shifters will go from $50.00 to $150.00. In NOS fashion will go for $100.00 to $200.00+ is the going rate. So If you see them for less than $50.00 jump on every one you can.
DeoreXT top mounts in great used condition will go from $100.00 to $200.00. In NOS fashion $200.00 to $350.00 and this is not a typo. . .

Wow Bob, you've piqued my interest once again. The Raleigh resto I previously mentioned has Deore LX thumb shifters but also noticed on eBay that they aren't quite has much in demand as the ones you've linked.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHIMANO-3X7-PAIR-LEVER-SHIFTERS-DEORE-LX-USED-/260936261179?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cc1035e3b

Could you enlighten me as to why the difference? I shouldn't complain too much because that Raleigh Tangent was free (see photo). A guy's wife wanted him to get rid of the rusted old bike and I was the first to get there from the Craigslist ad. Smile

Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

01-09-2016, 01:19 AM
Last Post: Bill

01-01-2015, 05:20 PM
Last Post: elmore leonard

09-24-2014, 01:25 PM
Last Post: cny-man