Show off your bike!

Sram X-9 Barrel Adjuster

Related video tutorials:
Dalton2250 Offline

Chesterfield, Derbyshire, UK
Sram X-9 Barrel Adjuster
Hey guys,

I have Sram gear components on my bike -

X-9 Trigger Shifters leading to X-9 front derailleur & X-0 rear derailleur.

The barrel adjusters for this system as you're probably aware are at the shifters rather than at the actual derailleurs as in some other models.

I'm planning on trying my hand at front & rear derailleur adjustment in the near future. However, the left side barrel adjuster (operates front derailleur) doesn't seem to be functioning.

I took the dust covers off both shifters and when you turn the right hand barrel adjuster you can see the cable tightening & loosening but the cable in the left hand shifter doesn't move at all when try it's adjuster.

Anyone know what the problem might be?

Coincidentally, I've been having problems with my left hand shifter, sometimes when I've been riding with the largest chainring & I try to shift down to any of the smaller ones it gets stuck. So I usually end up havin to click the shifter back up into the highest setting & back down several times until it actually shifts.

I've got a feeling the shifting problem may be linked to the non-functioning barrel adjuster somehow.

Any help will be met with severe gratitude.

Cheers

Si
May 12, 2011 12:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bill Offline
Veteran Member

NY,USA
RE: Sram X-9 Barrel Adjuster
Aww man there was a discussion on something like this and I forget who had something like these.

Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
May 12, 2011 07:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dalton2250 Offline

Chesterfield, Derbyshire, UK
(May 12, 2011 07:44 PM)Bill Wrote:  Aww man there was a discussion on something like this and I forget who had something like these.

Ok buddy, I'll have a good old' rummage round the forum then. Hopefully I'll find a solution because I really need to adjust my gears!

Si
May 16, 2011 05:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bill Offline
Veteran Member

NY,USA

Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
May 16, 2011 09:07 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Rear Derailleur adjuster barrel..Is it required ? atulkunte69 5 3,557 Nov 5, 2012 06:04 PM
Last Post: bobtravers
  Damaged threading for Brake Cable Barrel Adjuster Screw cheapy 2 3,808 Jul 10, 2012 02:06 PM
Last Post: DaveM
  Barrel Adjuster dhoyt 15 13,266 Mar 19, 2011 03:49 PM
Last Post: dhoyt
  Stripped cable barrel adjuster trilong2009 7 9,042 May 15, 2009 02:38 AM
Last Post: cyclerUK