Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

New Schwinn Pathway skipping chain
I bought a new Schwinn Pathway from Wal-Mart. It came pre-assembled but when i got it home and did a test ride i noticed that every 6 rotation of the pedals the chain seems to skip. It does this in all gears, as i continues riding i switched to the lowest gear on the front pully and the chain came off. I just tried calling the bike tech at wal-mart but apparently he has the day off and i want to go for a ride. Anyone here have any ideas on what the problem could be. From what i figure, it's either the chain is too long, but that doesn't seem right because my wifes bike is the same model as mine and her chain seems to be about the same tension.

Support the bike (back wheel off the ground) so that you can turn the pedals and watch the chain.<br />
Check for a stiff chain link. Turn the pedals backward and watch the rear derailleur. If it jumps then this can be a sign of a stiff link.<br />
Look from the back of the bike and check to see if the jockey wheels (small cogs on the rear derailleur ) line up with the sprockets at the back.<br />
Depending which gear you are in the top jockey wheel should be directley under the sprocket. If not then you can adjust the cable to line it up.<br />
Do you have an experianced cycling friend that you can nip round to and ask if he can have a look?

Ride hard or ride home alone!
I just went through all the low and high adjustments on both derailleurs, so i am pretty sure they are set right. When pedaling backwards the chain seems to not mesh with the jockey wheels after a few revolutions. I'm gonna go check for stiff links now. I'll let you know what i find out.
I wish i had a friend experienced with bikes i'll feel kinda dumb taking a brand new bike to a bike shop i didn't do business with. I'm sure they will charge me pretty good for the adjustments.

Whoo hoo found a stiff link, the link is sort of redish in color, not sure if that means its the master link or what but it is definitely the problem. I know i saw how to fix a stiff link some where on this board, os i should be able to get it from here.
Thanks for the help!

I've never seen a reddish link - except for rusty ones. HaHa!<br />
Normally you use a chain tool to "just" widen the link.<br />
Otherwise get hold of the chain either side of the offending link and "bend" the chain sideways. the idea is to force the link to widen. Try some WD40 on the link in case it is a spot of rust and then oil it when loosend.

Ride hard or ride home alone!
Not sure what the red stuff was, could have been loc tight or some sort of dye. I tried lossening up by hand with no luck. I even tried vice grips bending it side to side, i got it a little looser but it stuff is no where near as smooth as the rest of the links.
I'm gonna take it back to wally world on monday and have the bike tech there use the chain tool on it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

10-11-2022, 10:12 PM
Last Post: Jesper

05-19-2014, 11:52 AM
Last Post: nfmisso

08-25-2013, 08:26 AM
Last Post: 1FJEF