Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

V brake Carbon frame question
Hi group, I bought a carbon frame on ebay, and I wanted to put V brakes on it. So I put the front set on and they work great.

Forgot to mention, I understand how to adjust the V brakes in general, I've done it for years on my various bikes.

The rear is another story, I'm looking at my frame i I notice the pin slot on the frame spins meaning it's attached to the brake posts but it is not fixed.

So when I put the brake arms on I am not feeling the spring, but I did change mounting bolts and the right side spring showed some tension. The left side is dead as a doornail.

My question is, the pin receptor on the frame suppose to be free spinning or stationary. If my spring is broken in the brake, how would one test that, as I can move the spring but I feel the front of the brake boss move and not the arm itself. I hope that makes sense.

Thanks in advance.
(10-18-2011, 10:27 PM)dfphoto Wrote:  Hi group, I bought a carbon frame on ebay, and I wanted to put V brakes on it. So I put the front set on and they work great.

Forgot to mention, I understand how to adjust the V brakes in general, I've done it for years on my various bikes.

The rear is another story, I'm looking at my frame i I notice the pin slot on the frame spins meaning it's attached to the brake posts but it is not fixed.

So when I put the brake arms on I am not feeling the spring, but I did change mounting bolts and the right side spring showed some tension. The left side is dead as a doornail.

My question is, the pin receptor on the frame suppose to be free spinning or stationary. If my spring is broken in the brake, how would one test that, as I can move the spring but I feel the front of the brake boss move and not the arm itself. I hope that makes sense.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, if you could post a pic. Showing the V brake attachments of the frame, we could see the problem a little better. Never heard of that problem.
(10-20-2011, 03:14 AM)ghost Wrote:  
(10-18-2011, 10:27 PM)dfphoto Wrote:  Hi group, I bought a carbon frame on ebay, and I wanted to put V brakes on it. So I put the front set on and they work great.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, if you could post a pic. Showing the V brake attachments of the frame, we could see the problem a little better. Never heard of that problem.

Hi meant to update the post, I spent some time after work looking at my bike, the xt 770 brake spring is not broken, and the problem was the v-brake boss on the frame as it turns out both bosses were loose and by taking the bosses out and cleaning the holes up, I added some lock tight and tightened the bosses and placed the spinning pin ring into 3 o'clock 9 o'clock and the brakes worked perfectly.

Very odd situation as the frame had a hole for a pin and I thought the spinning ring was supposed to have a pin, but my method worked so I'm not that concerned now. I also tried the brake without the spinning ring but that didn't work so...

I now find myself without barrel adjustment bolt for my rear derailleur but that's another story... I believe my new bike will weigh about 19-20lbs complete I went with an old rockshox Sid as I only weigh 134lb.

Hope everyone else finds their solutions....u
(10-20-2011, 03:58 AM)dfphoto Wrote:  
(10-20-2011, 03:14 AM)ghost Wrote:  

Thanks in advance.

Hi meant to update the post, I spent some time after work looking at my bike, the xt 770 brake spring is not broken, and the problem was the v-brake boss on the frame as it turns out both bosses were loose and by taking the bosses out and cleaning the holes up, I added some lock tight and tightened the bosses and placed the spinning pin ring into 3 o'clock 9 o'clock and the brakes worked perfectly.

Very odd situation as the frame had a hole for a pin and I thought the spinning ring was supposed to have a pin, but my method worked so I'm not that concerned now. I also tried the brake without the spinning ring but that didn't work so...

I now find myself without barrel adjustment bolt for my rear derailleur but that's another story... I believe my new bike will weigh about 19-20lbs complete I went with an old rockshox Sid as I only weigh 134lb.

Hope everyone else finds their solutions....u

To add a barrel adjuster to the rear derailleur, add a Jagwire in-line barrel adjuster to the rear derailleur housing loop:

[Image: 2010sram.jpg?w=500&h=416]
I ended up ordering a shimaino part from niagra cycle 2.60 so.....

Possibly Related Threads...