Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Tool for cups on Schwinn World Tourist
I took apart the the BB of my Shwinn World Tourist, and ran into a challenge. The picture below shows one of the bearing cups of the BB. This would appear to take a tool that I do not have...

[attachment=2871]

It is a 12 point spline, about 20mm major diameter (bottom to bottom), and around 18mm minor diameter. Any suggestions?

The bike came equipped with a FFS (front freewheel system). The BB is backwards of most BBs, in that the cups attached to the frame face outwards, and the cones on the BB axle face inwards - like a wheel.

I recently purchased a compact double with BB that I intend to install in place of the FFS system. I already have a standard freewheel on the back.
Nigel
it looks like you could use your freewheel removal tool.
If you have lip on the outside edge of the cups use a pipe wrench they work well for this
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(10-22-2011, 09:56 PM)painkiller Wrote:  it looks like you could use your freewheel removal tool.
If you have lip on the outside edge of the cups use a pipe wrench they work well for this

Good guess, the FR-1 is about 4mm too large......
Nigel
still working for ya, possibility http://biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?d=single&item_id=BR-CT6MB
(10-23-2011, 08:29 AM)painkiller Wrote:  still working for ya, possibility http://biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?d=single&item_id=BR-CT6MB

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/shimano1982/pages/35.html
the tl2022 on this page may be it Nigel
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/tools/freewheel.html
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(10-23-2011, 08:29 AM)painkiller Wrote:  the tl2022 on this page may be it Nigel
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/tools/freewheel.html

Thank you !!!!

Yes; the TL2022 would fit the cups !! Smile

Which led me to finding out that it is also known as:

TL-FW20 or Bicycle Research CT-4.

Now I just have to find one Smile hopefully one of the local stores will have one, and I can get them to remove the cups; as I do not plan on doing this again Smile
Nigel
That PK kid is kinda cool. He knows about BR tools. Hard to source these days.
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
Robar try not to unsoil my reputation to bad! i do have to go out in public once in a while
I know its a bit late to jump in, but i got the same bike and have the same plans! I was just wondering if you succeeded in replacing the FFS with that compact double? And what BB+crankset combo did you use?
I decided to rebuild in place.

I have a Truvativ crank set; which came with a cartridge that I had planned on using. The bb threads are standard ISO/English 68mm wide so almost anything will fit.
Nigel
thanks for the reply!

what spindle length did you get on your new bb?

My schwinn world tourist came with a single front chainring, so i was planning on buying a crankset with a double chaninring and buy a front derailleur, and shifter.

I hate those FFS, and such few cogs in the back. When you bought the regular freewheel cassette wheel did you stay at 5 speeds or got a few more?
(09-17-2012, 03:32 AM)mauicio.lepe Wrote:  thanks for the reply!

My schwinn world tourist came with a single front chainring, so i was planning on buying a crankset with a double chaninring and buy a front derailleur, and shifter.

I hate those FFS, and such few cogs in the back. When you bought the regular freewheel cassette wheel did you stay at 5 speeds or got a few more?

I replaced the wheels, as they were steel rims, and at the time I was not building wheels - now I would have rebuilt with Sun CR18 or Alex DM18 rims.

I put a seven speed freewheel on; Sunrace 13-25T. With your current rear wheel, you'll have to add washers, and should re-dish.

You'll need the same tool (TL20) to remove the cogset in back - which is not a freewheel, but sort of fixed; if you try to remove it with a chainwhip, it will slip. A standard freewheel will screw right on with no issues.

The crankset I purchased came with the BB as part of set. The length of the BB axle will depend on the crankset you get, and may not work out correctly even if you follow the mfg's recommendation (see my thread on my GT Triple - not ugly anymore)

In a pinch, you can get a hub with 130mm OLD in the frame, you'll have to force it in. 127mm drops right into mine. 130mm opens up your choice to freehubs. At which point, you may as well stick with the OEM crankset; a 1 x 9 offers more than enough ratios.

Make sure you get some Tektro R556 or R559 brakes and alloy rims. They have enough reach to cover both the original ISO630 (27") rims and ISO622 (700c) rims.
Nigel
I don't know how to built wheels yet, i would love to learn tho. I've been hearing Hand built wheels are the best. And very glad to hear that you learned already Smile!

I was planning on changing the rear wheel, maybe sell the old one on craigs to someone looking to set up a FFS. I been reading about how you're supposes to stretch out the rear drop outs to 130mm to be able to fit a 7 and up speeds cassette. Would 7 speeds in the rear be the safest bet on this frame? or can i go a a bit higher? (Getting a whole new wheel with cassette already there, should be cheap to find a decent ,8,9,10 speed wheel already set up)

here is a thread i posted in another forum, it has all the ideas i plan on doing on this bike.
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/846795-Please-help!-Schwinn-World-Tourist?highlight=
(09-17-2012, 09:37 AM)nfmisso Wrote:  
(09-17-2012, 03:32 AM)mauicio.lepe Wrote:  thanks for the reply!

I replaced the wheels, as they were steel rims, and at the time I was not building wheels - now I would have rebuilt with Sun CR18 or Alex DM18 rims.

I put a seven speed freewheel on; Sunrace 13-25T. With your current rear wheel, you'll have to add washers, and should re-dish.

You'll need the same tool (TL20) to remove the cogset in back - which is not a freewheel, but sort of fixed; if you try to remove it with a chainwhip, it will slip. A standard freewheel will screw right on with no issues.

The crankset I purchased came with the BB as part of set. The length of the BB axle will depend on the crankset you get, and may not work out correctly even if you follow the mfg's recommendation (see my thread on my GT Triple - not ugly anymore)

In a pinch, you can get a hub with 130mm OLD in the frame, you'll have to force it in. 127mm drops right into mine. 130mm opens up your choice to freehubs. At which point, you may as well stick with the OEM crankset; a 1 x 9 offers more than enough ratios.

Make sure you get some Tektro R556 or R559 brakes and alloy rims. They have enough reach to cover both the original ISO630 (27") rims and ISO622 (700c) rims.

What do you think about this wheelset ?
http://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?ID=701

Its under 100 for the pair and i would just need to buy a new chain, Read derailleur shifter and the freewheel which im thinking i should go up to 7 speeds.
Maybe leave the FFS cranks how they are for right now. Do you think there would be an issue with the two freewheels?
mine has both front and rear freewheel.

i would suggest you get a rear wheel with freehub; 130mm OLD; and go with 8 or 9 speed. Eight is less expensive mainly due to shifter cost.
Nigel
(09-17-2012, 07:20 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  mine has both front and rear freewheel.

i would suggest you get a rear wheel with freehub; 130mm OLD; and go with 8 or 9 speed. Eight is less expensive mainly due to shifter cost.

Nice, do you have any issues such as rolling resistance between both freewheels? and i would have to get a new Rear derailleur and shifter?
if so which ones do you recommend for this setup?
thanks alot !
mine has both front and rear freewheel.

leave the front alone.

Get an eight or nine speed 11-28 cassette - unless your gf needs to deal with really steep hills, then get 11-34.

A Shimano Alivio RD is a good unit at relatively low cost - look on ebay and amazon. You will need to get a hanger for it, or re-use the hanger from the old RD.

Shifter - you will need a new one - the SRAM MRX 8 speed is probably to lowest overall cost (long life/low cost) bet - but it is a grip shift - some people love them, some hate them. 9 speed shifters are three times the cost, and up.

Brakes - get the Tektro R556 or R559 - NUTTED versions - the stock brakes are TERRIFYING.
Nigel
(09-17-2012, 08:20 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  mine has both front and rear freewheel.

leave the front alone.

Get an eight or nine speed 11-28 cassette - unless your gf needs to deal with really steep hills, then get 11-34.

A Shimano Alivio RD is a good unit at relatively low cost - look on ebay and amazon. You will need to get a hanger for it, or re-use the hanger from the old RD.

Shifter - you will need a new one - the SRAM MRX 8 speed is probably to lowest overall cost (long life/low cost) bet - but it is a grip shift - some people love them, some hate them. 9 speed shifters are three times the cost, and up.

Brakes - get the Tektro R556 or R559 - NUTTED versions - the stock brakes are TERRIFYING.

I wasn't able to find any good 27" freehub wheels. Any specific that you recommend ? I'm sure she wont mind the grip shifter as she had it in her 7 speed beach cruiser.
The brakes i dont think she minds them, but would i have to switch them if i get the grip shifter?
So if i get this set up, everything should work properly?

27" alloy wheel 130mm spacing with standard threading
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dimension-Value-Series-1-Rear-Wheel-27-Formula-130mm-Freewheel-Alex-X404-Silv-/130701222491?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e6e66625b

8 SPEED freewheel threaded kind
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-Bicycle-Bike-Cassette-8-Speed-Freewheel-11-32T-/140712799003?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20c322eb1b

himano Altus RD-M310 SGS Rear Derailleur 8-speed for Alivio Acera
Max sprocket: 34t
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Shimano-Altus-RD-M310-SGS-Rear-Derailleur-8-speed-for-Alivio-Acera-/110953251295?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19d55441df

Found this 8 speed shifter for 10 bucks. Would it work?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-SPEED-GRIP-SHIFTER-5-0-ESP-with-WIRE-NEW-/380472743532?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5895f1566c

and the one you mentioned for 11 bucks
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sram-MRX-Comp-Shifter-8-Speed-Rear-Grip-Twist-/330787328479?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d047611df

This set up should work flawlessly when set up correctly?
I would not get a freewheel - get a freehub.
http://www.amazon.com/Dimension-Series-Shimano-Silver-Polished/dp/B00882MRXU/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1347956393&sr=1-2&keywords=27
only one that I could find on Amazon that is 27" - consider changing to 700c - many more choices.

The ESP shifter will not work with the Shimano derailleur; It will only work with a SRAM.
Nigel
(09-18-2012, 04:10 AM)nfmisso Wrote:  I would not get a freewheel - get a freehub.
http://www.amazon.com/Dimension-Series-Shimano-Silver-Polished/dp/B00882MRXU/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1347956393&sr=1-2&keywords=27
only one that I could find on Amazon that is 27" - consider changing to 700c - many more choices.

The ESP shifter will not work with the Shimano derailleur; It will only work with a SRAM.

But that wheel only takes 9 and 10 speed cassettes?
Yeah im considering switching to 700c, the brakes are long enough to reach it.
Also i opened up the crank set yesterday and i was unable to put it back. On the non driver side it has cone like screws that i didn't have the proper tool to adjust it.
It looked just like a ball bearing hub cone, I figured I would need a size 20-25 park tool cone wrench to properly adjust it.
I've called a couple of shops around to see if they have worked on a FFS and none of them have ever heard of such thing.

Possibly Related Threads...