Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Freewheel hub or Cassette hub?
I need to remove the hub on my mountain bike but I can't figure out which type of hub it is, I am posting a picture to better explain what I am talking about.

[broken image]

I will really appreciate any help and also help on how to replace it or perhaps a way for me to fix it myself, thank you.
Your image don't work...

Take a look at this site, it can help you figure it out!

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/free-k7.html
http://www.flickr.com/photos/71827999@N07/6488773755/in/photostream/

I hope this link works better.
(12-10-2011, 05:37 PM)Marine1 Wrote:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/71827999@N07/6488773755/in/photostream/

It looks to be a freewheel from what I can tell. Your local bike shop can tell you what it is. What kind of bike is it exactly?
(12-10-2011, 07:11 PM)capner2112 Wrote:  
(12-10-2011, 05:37 PM)Marine1 Wrote:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/71827999@N07/6488773755/in/photostream/

It looks to be a freewheel from what I can tell. Your local bike shop can tell you what it is. What kind of bike is it exactly?

Thank you.

The bike was purchase used and its a Next 18speed and i says EST Extreme on the sticker. I am pretty sure the hub will have have to be replace and I saw another hub. I think I already found the replacement at walmart new HUB but need to know how to remove it first. So far I've only seen two methods for removal but none fit the style HUB on my wheel. I think you are right and the best thing to do will be a local bike shop.
Quote:Thank you.

The bike was purchase used and its a Next 18speed and i says EST Extreme on the sticker. I am pretty sure the hub will have have to be replace and I saw another hub. I think I already found the replacement at walmart new HUB but need to know how to remove it first. So far I've only seen two methods for removal but none fit the style HUB on my wheel. I think you are right and the best thing to do will be a local bike shop.

Yes, it is a freewheel then. There are several types of freewheel keyways for removal and you will need this 4 notch remover. Your local bike shop should carry these tools or can pop it off for a small charge. The nice thing about freewheels is they are completely interchangable among brands so that 6sp Shimano is OK.

It's a good idea to check to see if the chain is stretched (your shop can do this). Stretched chains can deform cog and chainring teeth causing problems and more repairs.

To clarify, the freewheel/cassette is the set of cogs that the chain runs on. The hub is the central body of the wheel through which the axle runs; the freewheel attaches to the hub.
Also, if you want to replace the hub it will be a better option replacing the entire wheel than just the hub. Rebuilding a wheel is costly if you are using a freewheel hub. You can of course do it though if you want.
You can also measure the "stretch" of the chain yourself with a ruler: Hold it up against the chain and measure the length of 12 full segments (plate inside + plate outside). It should be not more than 12 + 1/16th inch. If it is past the 1/8 mark you have to replace chain and sprockets (= cassette or freewheel) and maybe also the chain rings (in the front), though I'd try to get away without doing that at first. Still, you should keep it in mind.

Judging from the teeth on your largest sprocket you will definitely have to replace the chain. Wear is quite obvious and I would not be surprised if the chain rings look as bad.

Possibly Related Threads...