Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Brake lever Extenders
About 20 years ago I was able to buy (at most any bike store) these cool brake lever extenders that you would bolt on to the ends of your brake levers to make using grab-ons or bar ends or horns or what ever the wording is today work much better.

anyway I'm on a hunt for some, anyone know where a guy can get some?

Dale
we have all been given life, yet not all have lived
I think that you may be referring to "suicide levers" named for the very low braking force one was able to exert before the levers interfered with the handle bars , because they were so flexible.

No longer sold, because of the dangers.

If you have drop bars like this bike: http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_522412_-1_10000__203037
you should look into in-line levers like these:
http://www.amazon.com/Nashbar-In-line-Brake-Levers/dp/B004UMC6FG/
Nigel
Dale! (pardon me Nigel) - I remember those! Been a l o n g time!
Those were designed to clamp onto MTB brake levers at the tip and allow braking while a riders hands were on the bar-ends. Yes?

That was back in the MTB Boom of the early/mid-'90s when people would buy stuff just because it was new and they saw an ad in a magazine. Or maybe because it was anodized 3-D Violet (guilty myself).

While a very cool and ingenious idea, it wasn't very practical when you really think about it. Bar-ends are a bolt-on 'tool' invented, and intended, for the sole purpose of allowing a mountain bike rider to shift body weight and, thusly, Center Of Gravity, forward during a climb to maintain weight over the front wheel for steering. Still being able to counter-balance traction to the rear.
It's not very often that I slam on the brakes while on the bar-ends in the middle of a steep and loose climb. Usually, to stop pedalling brings me to a stop PDQ. :-)

And to rub salt into the wound - the lightest pair that I can recall were over 60 grams and cost more than $60. They were quite flexy . I don't believe in paying someone to increase the weight of my bike. I can just add weight to me!
Want a White Castle burger?
I could go on about their demise but I won't.

If you are in need of a set for a "period correct" MTB restoration, Painkiller, myself and several others might be able to hook you up with a set. And - In that case - we may demand pics! We are axle nuts, sometimes. LOL. I do have a set in 3DV that I would trade for help in paying for my Carpal T surgery. BRAKE!

EDIT - I don't have CTS. Yet.
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
closest thing maybe to suit your needs, and hey! they got to be purple to be era-correct
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BIKE-BICYCLE-NEW-BRAKE-Lever-Extensions-MTB-BMX-Bar-End-/330368373047?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ceb7d5137#ht_562wt_1164
(12-22-2011, 09:33 PM)painkiller Wrote:  closest thing maybe to suit your needs, and hey! they got to be purple to be era-correct
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BIKE-BICYCLE-NEW-BRAKE-Lever-Extensions-MTB-BMX-Bar-End-/330368373047?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ceb7d5137#ht_562wt_1164

Oh Dale, up date your Bio so we know where you are located. I may be able to dig up some more purple stuff to give you just to keep Robar from reliving his childhood like us! P.S. welcome to the Tutor
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(12-22-2011, 09:33 PM)painkiller Wrote:  closest thing maybe to suit your needs, and hey! they got to be purple to be era-correct

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post....

The brake lever extension are not really to bring back a bike to be just like the day the bike was new but rather I am an expedition bike tourer and I don't go out and buy the "flavor of the week" with my long haulers. I build them up from heavy cro-mo frames... which are 80's & 90's mountain bike frames made by the "upper end" bike welders.

I have used these bar-end brake extenders on the last Expedition bike I had and just flat loved them, they never gave me any issue and helped greatly in my long days in the saddle.

I think I payed $20 a set in 1993 for the last set (and bitched about the $) but they went with the bike on the day some body offered my more money for the bike then I was able to say no.

Now I'm putting the finishing touchess to the next bike for my next up coming long haul.

I tryed eBay earlier without any luck, funny how it go's Anyway once again thanks to all that have replied
Dale
we have all been given life, yet not all have lived

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

10-10-2013, 06:49 AM
Last Post: sab456