Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Home Made Heavy Duty Repair
Today I was working on my Work Shop and took a long look at my Bike repair stand. I am going to make one the same listed here... http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-992.html only bigger and better. There are a few enhancements that I am working that may just prove to be valuable to everyone. This new one is rather in my head and on paper right now but can tell ya it will be with 3/4 black steel pipe. Thats all for now.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Sounds good! Please submit head online.
Cycle the streets of Bristol!
(01-27-2012, 04:46 PM)Bill Wrote:  Today I was working on my Work Shop and took a long look at my Bike repair stand. I am going to make one the same listed here... http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-992.html only bigger and better. There are a few enhancements that I am working that may just prove to be valuable to everyone. This new one is rather in my head and on paper right now but can tell ya it will be with 3/4 black steel pipe. Thats all for now.

Bill; put some of that foam pipe insulation on the black iron pipe so that when you run into the stand, it will not hurt so much Smile
Nigel
(03-09-2012, 01:56 AM)nfmisso Wrote:  
(01-27-2012, 04:46 PM)Bill Wrote:  Today I was working on my Work Shop and took a long look at my Bike repair stand. I am going to make one the same listed here... http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-992.html only bigger and better. There are a few enhancements that I am working that may just prove to be valuable to everyone. This new one is rather in my head and on paper right now but can tell ya it will be with 3/4 black steel pipe. Thats all for now.

Bill; put some of that foam pipe insulation on the black iron pipe so that when you run into the stand, it will not hurt so much Smile

LOL Nigel! I was worried about his toes, though. May need steel-toe boots.
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
Ahahaha you guys are too much Smile . I actually am implementing some foam pipe insulation Big Grin . I really do wear steel toed shoes too Tongue. Haven't tried combat boots yet but it is a possibility lmao. Tongue
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Bill, you now have to design a fork lift to move it! Lmao! Good luck to you.
Cycle the streets of Bristol!
Lol nah I can actually pick it up with one hand. I don't need a forklift I have a set of torches Big Grin !
I have constructed the monster! It is 1" black pipe not 3/4". No pictures yet and I do apologize! Anyways to keep it cheap I used a reducer at the top part (1" to 1/2") so a part from the old stand could be used. The idea is really cool but you know what I am looking for is some sort a holder that the bike can be rotated 360 degrees while hooked onto an extruding 1" bar. Yes it could be 3/4" if need be. Just cant figure out what to use?

BTW : I put my trike on this things and the 1/2" wants to bend before the rest of it even moves lol.
(07-30-2012, 11:29 PM)Bill Wrote:  . . . The idea is really cool but you know what I am looking for is some sort a holder that the bike can be rotated 360 degrees while hooked onto an extruding 1" bar. Yes it could be 3/4" if need be. Just cant figure out what to use?

BTW : I put my trike on this things and the 1/2" wants to bend before the rest of it even moves lol.

Try using a "Tee" but don't tighten it down so you can turn it 360-degrees. That's what I did in the photo below. I also added duct tape to keep from scratching the bike, and used Velcro strap to hold the bike in place while turning. But you probably can't go the entire 360 with that configuration without problems. Hope that helps.

Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!
Thanks Steve. Now a little secret I am working on the problem of rotating the bike 360 degrees! Yes I found a mod for that Smile. Also figured out how to make it rotate horizontally 360 degrees , but that is another post.
Uhh, Bill? You've been working on this since January. Is the paint that really s l o w d r y i n g kind or are you waiting on Christmas to surprise us?? Wink
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
(11-18-2012, 10:01 AM)RobAR Wrote:  Uhh, Bill? You've been working on this since January. Is the paint that really s l o w d r y i n g kind or are you waiting on Christmas to surprise us?? Wink

Well this was a back burner project, remember the *GT became priority. So recently there was one small bike I was doing for a friend and had to turn the bike in a way that was straight up and down. Would not stay in that position so figured it was time to finally get this stand completed. The pipe clamps can not seem to hold the bike into a strange position without coming loose and tightening them too much will possible bend the tubing on the bike. In all honesty not going paint this one yet as it is better for others to see the construction materials used without having to draw arrows everywhere on a Windows paint .jpg. I liked KC-Steve's idea but yall know me, go better and bigger like Tim the Toolman! Yea that paint is pretty long drying Wink.

* The GT was on the stand when I was restoring it. There are so so pictures there if you feel like sifting through them lol.
Ok well here it is, atleast half done! Any questions just asked. The mod I built on is from a stand a gentleman made from 2010 with a few minor enhancements. If you noticed the pipe I a holding will be for the mod to turn the stand left to right 360 degrees and to make it higher or lower using same method as the top part! Big Grin The credit for the idea is found here...
http://afajarito.blogspot.com/ .
His is much nicer but well I already had a good base!
Ok the bottom half is completed I am going to do a proper write-up with all the parts I had to obtain and hoe they were fabricated. Sorry this post is not very well organized.
I hope so Bill, I think Rob Is getting antsy pantsy. I have yet to ascertain the global impact that your build is going to have on our planet!
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"

Possibly Related Threads...