Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Fixed Gear Beer
Went to dinner at Beelows Steakhouse in Lake Zurich, IL last night. Saw this on the beer list and had to try it.

[attachment=3049]

It went very well with my prime rib. Very tasty.

http://www.lakefrontbrewery.com/fixed-gear.html

Ride on, keep on riding
Riding on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on
Ride on, gonna have myself a good time - AC/DC

What did it taste like?
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
It had a kind of citrus-y flavor, very hoppy and full bodied since it is a red ale. I thought it had a grapefruit undertone. Very clean and refreshing taste. I liked it alot. I usually only drink one or two beers, and am always trying something different. I had some winners and losers and I think this one is a winner.

Ride on, keep on riding

I like red ales and I used to home-brew them. I'm going to look around for this one. Their web site shows they have a distributor here in MO. I'll serve it in my workshop along with Fat Tire.

barefooter,

How far are you from Galena? I'm always looking for a new place to have dinner when I go up that way to visit my father-in-law.
HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe...Ride Hard...Ride Daily
John,
Galena is about 140 miles away from me. I live on the Illinois Chain-of-Lakes - about an hour northwest of Chicago.
Pete

Ride on, keep on riding

(02-09-2012, 10:48 AM)barefooter Wrote:  John,
Galena is about 140 miles away from me. I live on the Illinois Chain-of-Lakes - about an hour northwest of Chicago.
Pete

Well, I guess that would be a bit of a drive to go out for dinner. My father-in-law actually lives in Elizabeth, about 15 miles from Galena on Route 20. Only one restaurant there so we have to go to several towns to eat out.
HCFR Cycling Team
Have you been to Galena Brewing? I was there awhile ago. I liked their Amber Ale with the Cuban sandwich.

Ride on, keep on riding

I haven't been to the brewery, but I have had a Cuban sandwich at some restaurant my father-in-law took us to. They aren't bad, but if you want a real Cuban sandwich, outside of Havana, Tampa or Miami is the place to get them. Next time we go up there, I'll definitely visit the brewery since we end up going to Galena at least once a day.
HCFR Cycling Team
(02-10-2012, 06:04 PM)JohnV Wrote:  I haven't been to the brewery, but I have had a Cuban sandwich at some restaurant my father-in-law took us to. They aren't bad, but if you want a real Cuban sandwich, outside of Havana, Tampa or Miami is the place to get them. Next time we go up there, I'll definitely visit the brewery since we end up going to Galena at least once a day.

I have to ask because it sounds delicious - what is a Cuban sandwich?
Cycle the streets of Bristol!
Sliced ham off the bone. thinly sliced roast pork, swiss cheese, sliced dill pickle, and mustard on a cuban roll (kind of like a sub roll, but a little under baked) then pressed on a flat griddle. Yum! (please excuse the drool on my keyboard) Think I have to find one for dinner!

Ride on, keep on riding

(03-10-2012, 03:34 PM)barefooter Wrote:  Sliced ham off the bone. thinly sliced roast pork, swiss cheese, sliced dill pickle, and mustard on a cuban roll (kind of like a sub roll, but a little under baked) then pressed on a flat griddle. Yum! (please excuse the drool on my keyboard) Think I have to find one for dinner!

Damn, that sounds good! After its put together, do you then heat it until cheese melts?
Cycle the streets of Bristol!
Yes, with a heated heavy Iron press on top. Man, a good one used to be available near me, but that place closed down a while ago. Gonna have to make my own.

Ride on, keep on riding

Hey Ya! Fanella's Pizza & Pub in Ingleside now has Fixed Gear Beer!
(It is only 15 mins from my house! 5 mins by car)

[attachment=3802]

Ride on, keep on riding

(12-14-2012, 10:10 PM)barefooter Wrote:  Hey Ya! Fanella's Pizza & Pub in Ingleside now has Fixed Gear Beer!
Ride over there and drink 7 for me. I'll square up with you some day. I might get paid on Tuesday!
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
(12-14-2012, 10:20 PM)RobAR Wrote:  
(12-14-2012, 10:10 PM)barefooter Wrote:  Hey Ya! Fanella's Pizza & Pub in Ingleside now has Fixed Gear Beer!
Ride over there and drink 7 for me. I'll square up with you some day. I might get paid on Tuesday!

Happy to do that for you Rob, But after your 7 and my 7 I'll need someone to take me and my bike home. Do you have a pickup truck?

Ride on, keep on riding

While you are at it bring me a triple expresso extra strong, well just bring me a bag of coffee beans and ill chew on them Big Grin .
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!