Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Shimano 200gs range
A bike I'm repairing has a Shimano 200gs long-cage rear derailleur running 6 speeds. The rear wheel needs to be replaced and if I choose a cassette it'll be minimum 7 speeds and I might go 8. Can this derailleur support 8 speeds?
All of the scant info I have found on the 200 gs is that it is a 6/7 speed, 32 tooth max freewheel/cassette. It was discontinued in the mid 90s and replaced with the Altus. Maybe someone else has the shimano docs available with more info. Good luck with your repair.

Ride on, keep on riding
Riding on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on
Ride on, gonna have myself a good time - AC/DC

I couldn't find much online either but the guys at my bike shop said 7sp would be tight. Thanks.
I looked at http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-spacing.shtml (scroll down for cassette spacing). from 6 to 7 speed is an additional 3mm cassette width, 8spd is another 3mm. So I guess they're probably right...
I would (probably) try the 8 speed and then finally replace the dérailleur with a newer one (mid range Shimano of yesteryear).

Note that a 6 speed rear wheel is narrower than a 7 speed cassette freehub rear wheel. There might be a problem with the frame spacing. If and only if it is a steel frame you might be able to respace it.
The frame spacing is adequate for up to 9 speeds at 135mm. I may just replace the derailleur anyhow because the first 4 or so threads on the barrel adjustment hole are stripped limiting that feature. The entire drivetrain is being replaced so I might as well do it all.
This is my first time shopping for components so I have some questions.

The frame is labeled as a MTB frame though it is more like a road frame, what sort of components should I select? I'm interested in road components such as 2 chainrings and "compact" RD. I'm looking at a 7 or 8sp in the rear and I don't know how brand crossing affects component selection (Sram vs Shimano).

Possibly Related Threads...