Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Chain slips
I have a problem with my chain slips when pedaling hard. This only happens when the chain is on the middle chainring. I have a new chain, cassette, and derailer and the mechanic at the shop says the chainring doesn't look bad and He just re adjusted the rear derailer. This did not help. Could it be because my crankset is a nine speed and my cassette is only eight? Or could it be a crappy deraihler. maybe the guy at the shop doesn't know as much as i thought and it is the chainring causing it.
If it really only happens in one chainring and that is the one you put the most miles on, it's a pretty likely candidate to be the problem. It's pretty hard to "see" when a chainring is worn enough that it will start slipping, even for an experienced mechanic.

Another possibility is the freehub, but that should cause slipping in any gear combination.
(03-07-2012, 12:10 AM)bbryan555 Wrote:  I have a problem with my chain slips when pedaling hard. This only happens when the chain is on the middle chainring. I have a new chain, cassette, and derailer and the mechanic at the shop says the chainring doesn't look bad and He just re adjusted the rear derailer. This did not help. Could it be because my crankset is a nine speed and my cassette is only eight? Or could it be a crappy deraihler. maybe the guy at the shop doesn't know as much as i thought and it is the chainring causing it.

Cranksets don't have "speeds". Just gears and pedals.

I agree that it is either the middle gear or the freehub.
(03-07-2012, 02:50 PM)RBurrelli Wrote:  
(03-07-2012, 12:10 AM)bbryan555 Wrote:  I have a problem with my chain slips when pedaling hard. This only happens when the chain is on the middle chainring. I have a new chain, cassette, and derailer and the mechanic at the shop says the chainring doesn't look bad and He just re adjusted the rear derailer. This did not help. Could it be because my crankset is a nine speed and my cassette is only eight? Or could it be a crappy deraihler. maybe the guy at the shop doesn't know as much as i thought and it is the chainring causing it.

Cranksets don't have "speeds". Just gears and pedals.

I agree that it is either the middle gear or the freehub.

Funnily enough, I came upon this problem and it was an intermittent free hub slip. Usually happens with a favoured gear and under load, such as climbing. Replacing the free hub cured it. Hope this is helpful to you.
Cycle the streets of Bristol!
Thanks for the help.
Hi I my chain slips all the time it's a new chain and I've checked the chain rings and the wheel and all the rest it's just note is doin it tryed everything not sure wot it cud be any can help me
(03-24-2012, 04:15 PM)Jammin21 Wrote:  Hi I my chain slips all the time it's a new chain and I've checked the chain rings and the wheel and all the rest it's just note is doin it tryed everything not sure wot it cud be any can help me

Did it slip on the old chain? Gears and chains tend to wear together and "adapt" to one another, so if the old chain was stretched it could have worn the teeth of the gears.

Just one possible scenario.....
(03-24-2012, 04:15 PM)Jammin21 Wrote:  Hi I my chain slips all the time it's a new chain and I've checked the chain rings and the wheel and all the rest it's just note is doin it tryed everything not sure wot it cud be any can help me

I have a centurion, danish bike that is, and have sram gears in the back and Sugino single speed cranck set and they are not worn out, and also ,my chain is dedicated i think, it has widened spacers between links, i think it is sram, anyway it provides perfect fit. One day, i had 2 broken links and decided it was time to change it with kmc z chain, and believe me dude, i had 3 slips within a full pedal circle and i had to get a sram special chain, expensive like 4 times the price of the kmc, just saying.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

04-27-2020, 03:24 PM
Last Post: Joe_W

06-02-2014, 04:41 PM
Last Post: BingoBilly

10-21-2012, 04:23 AM
Last Post: 1FJEF