Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Upgrading the old Bounty Hunter MTB
Ok I finely got back on line and am looking for some info, I’d like to know if there is any benefit to changing from a 1 peace crank set to a 3 piece set
Have fun and just enjoy the ride
I imagine going from a one piece to a 3 piece will give you a lot more choice of crank sets and most will be a fair bit lighter than the original one piece crank. Also, the sealed bearings available for square taper, splined and external type crank sets are probably a fair bit better and smoother running than the cup, cone and caged ball type bearings used with one piece cranks.

You will need an adapter like this: http://www.amazon.com/Truvativ-00-6415-027-000-American-To-Euro-Bmx-Adapter/dp/B000VT550K
Hello Fred, the old bounty hunter bike that you have is it an FS Elite? how long have you had it and where was it purchased? I just picked one up the other day because it was heading to the garbage and I thought it still had life left for someone that needed a basic atb for tooling around on. Mine came with a broken gripshifter and I had a nicer set laying around. But a couple days after getting the bounty hunter I picked up a Specialized Hardrock for $10 at a garage sale so I ended up side lining the bounty. I took the seat and stem and bars off the Bounty to put on the hardrock. My bounty has near perfect paint job and is a flat blue color. I had never seen or heard of this bike before. you must really like it to put money in to such an upgrade to the crankset.
if you want any parts like the other shifter,derailleurs, crank, seatpostetc.. Instant message me with a shipping address, you can have the stuff. it is in good shape and never been off- road. I would rather give it to you than junk it. because its destiny is the garbage can once again
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Thanks xerxes and painkiller, I may just look for some parts that will fit mine. That sounds like a lot of refitting. Yes painkiller mine was made by FS Elite, I got mine around 25 years ago when I lived in Delaware. Did not ride much there just started about 2years ago and have changed tires from the knobies to road tires on the MTB rims. I use it to commute to work nowadays; I just don’t deal with the heat very well.
Have fun and just enjoy the ride
To funny Fred, Mine is a spitting image of yours! Mine is around a 19in frame same color. the most unique thing about the bike is the way the top is shaped to conceal the way the cables run and to keep them from grinding on the paint. I will have to post a pic so you can have a laugh
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

03-13-2020, 02:05 AM
Last Post: Jesper

02-26-2014, 12:19 PM
Last Post: nfmisso

01-02-2013, 03:29 AM
Last Post: Joe_W