Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Just Picked up a bike and need some advice
Hi i just picked up an old 12 speed Shogun Cr-mo 400 and I am interested in updating it with newer components, shifters, handlebars, brakes and such. But I am new to the sport of cycling and am not sure what to do first. It currently has stem shifters and i would like to upgrade to STI shifters if possible, but what would i need to do the swap? I understand that it would be cheaper to buy a new bike for normal people, but I am 6'11 with a 38-39" inseam and this bike is the biggest i could find without paying thousands of dollars for a custom bike. Any advice would be appreciated, Thanks.

Here are some pics if the bike:
[attachment=3278]
[attachment=3279]
[attachment=3280]
[attachment=3281]
Hi Josh;

STi shifters and required related parts are going to set you back well over $500- plus installation. The only thing that will be left is the frame. The short list:
* STI brifters http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-ST-4501-Tiagra-Shifter-9-Speed/dp/B002O8UZ6K/
* Handle bars with divots to route the cables
* rear wheel with freehub for 9 speed cassette $200 - $300
* Tektro R536 brakes $70-
* derailleurs $100 - $200
* cables $20-
* in line brake levers to replace the suicide levers on the bike $25-
* 9 speed crankset with bottom bracket $50 to $300

and I am sure that I missed a bunch of stuff.

A cheaper alternative than buy everything separately, is purchase another bike equipped with everything you want, then swap components.
Nigel
The bike looks OK and very little used to me as it is, the gear teeth are not worn, the brakes are the same as new ones will be, and most importantly, your rear drop out width is probably not wide enough for more gears!! do not spring the frame open to accommodate a wider hub as this will induce weakness at the joints of the seat and chain stays.
You will also have chain line problems if you try to fit a triple chainset, clean the bike up and use and enjoy it at it is.
x2 on the last post. I'd get the bike ready to go as it sits, maybe with some new tires and other wear items (brake pads can get rock-hard after sitting a while), and just ride.
I bought my little brother an older Trek 1200 with downtube shifters, promising him I'd upgrade it later, but he got used to the lightweight, simple setup and never bothered to ask for the upgrade.
Here is one that would work for you, and cost a LOT less than any attempted upgrade:

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/ventnoir_x.htm
Nigel

Possibly Related Threads...