Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

1965 Armstrong
Hey folks,

I just got a 1965 Armstrong 26" 3speed Sturmey Archer rear hub. I was wandering if anyone knew anything about these bikes or what it maybe worth? It also has a bell I found to be rather unique. On the bell it has printed on it "ASPICE CHRISTOPHORUM ET TUTUS VIAM CARPE" . I had to clean it up a little to read, used Alex's tutorial on cleaning rust from rimns, and still can't figure out what that means.

Any help would be appreciated,

Bill
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Cool find! Don't know much about the bike, but apparently the bell says "Look at St Christopher and travel on safely" according to <a href="http://highwaycyclinggroup.wordpress.com/2008/03/20/st-christopher-bike-bell/">this post</a>

Alex,

Thank you very much for finding that. Also bookmarked that site as it is very interesting. I think tomorrow I am gonna do a little more research on the bike itself and maybe restore it. For take care and great weekend to you.

Bill
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(10-09-2009, 09:11 PM)Bill Wrote:  Hey folks, HAPPEN to have found a old armstrong yesterday at a Estate sell for $10.00 Was wondering if you found out any sites or ways to find out the value and or the dating of these bikes. First on this site. THANKS BILL

I just got a 1965 Armstrong 26&quot; 3speed Sturmey Archer rear hub. I was wandering if anyone knew anything about these bikes or what it maybe worth? It also has a bell I found to be rather unique. On the bell it has printed on it &quot;ASPICE CHRISTOPHORUM ET TUTUS VIAM CARPE&quot; . I had to clean it up a little to read, used Alex's tutorial on cleaning rust from rimns, and still can't figure out what that means.

Bill
(02-26-2010, 11:39 AM)misrabill Wrote:  
(10-09-2009, 09:11 PM)Bill Wrote:  Hey folks, HAPPEN to have found a old armstrong yesterday at a Estate sell for $10.00 Was wondering if you found out any sites or ways to find out the value and or the dating of these bikes. First on this site. THANKS BILL

I just got a 1965 Armstrong 26&quot; 3speed Sturmey Archer rear hub. I was wandering if anyone knew anything about these bikes or what it maybe worth? It also has a bell I found to be rather unique. On the bell it has printed on it &quot;ASPICE CHRISTOPHORUM ET TUTUS VIAM CARPE&quot; . I had to clean it up a little to read, used Alex's tutorial on cleaning rust from rimns, and still can't figure out what that means.

Bill

Yes,
Look on the 3speed hub on the rear wheel. There should be 2 numbers and that is the date of the Bike, last 2 number of the year like 19"6x".
Bill,
Sorry so short on the last post! I have an Armstrong myself which is a 1965 model probably made by Raleigh which was a very large bicycle company in Europe (and other areas too Smile). These bikes today are very rare. I do not have a photo of mine yet as I am restoring mine. This article will tell you where to ID what year the Armstrong you have was made. Hope this helps....
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/english-3.html .
The latin motto means:

Trust in St.Christopher, and save lives by plucking this bell.
(01-05-2012, 02:50 AM)AW_hub Wrote:  The latin motto means:

Trust in St.Christopher, and save lives by plucking this bell.

Hello AW,
Yes those bells popped up quite a bit in the past year after I posted this. How have you been? I do still have the bell and the Armstrong which my daughter rides a bit.

By the way this is my 2000th post. Wow.

Bill

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

09-29-2021, 04:31 PM
Last Post: Criminal

04-15-2011, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Bill