Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

How much quick release pressure for a carbon bike?
I don't mean to sound stupid (which is a difficult job for me) but how much pressure should I use on the quick release with a carbon bike? I don't want it so tight that it will damage the bike but I don't want it so loose that the wheel might pop off when I'm on it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm sort of new with carbon and am a tad lost at the moment.
Hi Vincent. I can't recall ever seeing a bike with carbon drop-outs (where the skewer clamps). Carbon wouldn't take that kind of crushing force. Most likely, you have a nice paint job that blends the carbon to the aluminum drop-out or the drop-out has a thin carbon wrap over it.
Use the same force that you would on any other bike!
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
(04-12-2012, 07:51 PM)RobAR Wrote:  Hi Vincent. I can't recall ever seeing a bike with carbon drop-outs (where the skewer clamps). Carbon wouldn't take that kind of crushing force. Most likely, you have a nice paint job that blends the carbon to the aluminum drop-out or the drop-out has a thin carbon wrap over it.
Use the same force that you would on any other bike!

Okay, I thank you for your suggestion. I've never owned a carbon bike before so it's all new to me. I was just trying to play things carefully but what you've said sounds rational.

Possibly Related Threads...