Bicycle TutorBicycle Tutor

Show off your bike!

Related video tutorials:
How to Adjust Your Front Derailleur How to Adjust Your Front Derailleur
* Now with 3D interactive instructions
20 year old derailleur
Will I notice improvement by replacing a 20 year old derailleur?

I just replaced chain and cassette and wonder if shifting will improve with a new derailleur?

Schwinn 354 Road Bicycle (1991)
Frame: Schwinn 5000 Aluminum
Crankset: Shimano Exage300EX biopace double
Front Derailleur: Shimano Exage 400EX
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Exage 300EX 7-speed
maybe a little; but not likely. What issues are you seeing with your present one?
Nigel
(05-08-2012, 04:08 AM)nfmisso Wrote:  maybe a little; but not likely. What issues are you seeing with your present one?

It was really difficult to adjust. I think I may have gotten it right; I'll find out when I ride.

I was wondering about springs and responsiveness and adjustment improvements of newer designs.
Well, the springs of rear dérailleurs do wear, so when adjustment becomes impossible (even with new cables) it may be time to replace it.
(05-08-2012, 06:51 AM)Joe_W Wrote:  Well, the springs of rear dérailleurs do wear, so when adjustment becomes impossible (even with new cables) it may be time to replace it.

I wonder if there is a direct replacement for the Shimano Exage 300EX 7-speed. Maybe Shimano has a suggestion. Yeah, everything wears out.
I ride so that I don't wear out too soon from all of my sitting in front of computers.
http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-RD-2300-R-derailleur-Smart-cage/dp/B002UZORHU/

is probably your best bet. You will probably need to replace your chain with an 8 speed chain, and a 7 speed chain will rub the derailleur cage - did on my RD2200
Nigel
Replacement part also depends on whether the dérailleur is screwed into the hanger fixed to the drop outs or the dérailleur has a hanger attached to it that is held in place by the axle.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  25 year old 6 speed shimano derailleur relnes 1 8,472 08-06-2010, 03:08 AM
Last Post: xerxes