Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Help me I.D.My Mystery Euro Bicycle
When I first saw this bike in pics, I thought it was a common, huffy of the late 70's or something. Then, when I went to pick it up. It had aluminum fenders, a really cool seat and a lugged frame. So, I thought it was an old Raleigh. After looking at the serial #, it does not appear to be a Raleigh(though, maybe made by Raleigh). I only know that that its a little different. The sprocket is different, the seat is different, the aluminum fenders are different and it looks like it used to have an aluminum chain guard. But I can't seem to figure out what the bike actually is. I can only guess mid 60's, since it has a 333 3-speed hub. I do plan on restoring it. But depending on what it is, will determine as to how I restore it. I have asked some local bicycle shops and no one seems to know. No one seems to care about an old 3-speed bike, which explains how I got it for $12.00, but I care. If you can help me, I would Greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
Rocky

http://photobucket.com/MysteryEuroBicycle
Best commute to work, is when you never have to put your feet down.
Total guess - Royce Union made in Japan, mid 60's - looks a lot like one my dad had.
Nigel
Just out of a total guess maybe it has different parts thrown on it?
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
I'm not sure how old this post is but I post a reply anyhow. If it has 26 x 1 1/2 inch wheels (xx-584 tires) I lean towards European, they were standard on French, Dutch, Scandinavian and German made bikes up until some time in early to mid 1980's. If the weels are 26 x 1 3/8, (xx-590) I would lean towards British made, but even used on Japanese/US made bikes. In Europe, at least North of the Alps, the gear hubs was by far either Sachs or Sturmey Archer (3-4 and 5 speed), and not until some time around 1980 did the Japanese brand become more widely used. On US and Japanese made bikes Shimano 3 speeds were common early on.