Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Pump hose w screw-on head?
I'm looking for an older style pump hose with a head that screws onto the filler valve. This is a very old style - some 20-30 years back - that came with an 18 inch silver hand pump made to be fit in the frame of a bicycle. The barrel of the hose fit inside the barrel of the pump. Any idea where I can buy that?

I have a modern hand pump with a similar hove and head, but the end is too long to fit between the thick plastic spokes of a child's bicycle (12.5 in wheel).

Regards,
Lou
this can often solve this problem, try your LBS.
(05-14-2012, 06:45 PM)trevgbb Wrote:  this can often solve this problem, try your LBS.
That looks like just what I need. Have you examined this closely? I ask because I have a short hose that fits both the valve and the hand pump, but it has nothing to depress the valve stem to allow the passge of air into the valve. pumping air into this set-up simply pressurizes the hose and not fill the tire. Does the collar end have a method of depressing the valve stem? If not, how does this elbow work?
Do not understand your comments re the filler hose. The fill end must have a center pin to push down on the valve to fill the tire.

The 90 degree valve screws onto the existing valve and pushes down the valve the valve function is now on top at the fill end.

I use one on my motorcycle when filling at gas stations with fillers that do not fit. However due to high speeds I do not leave it in place but take it off after filling up, otherwise over time it can pull the valve off. This is not a problem with bicycle.

BMW motorcycle shops have them around $10, or consider getting a pump that fits.
Never Give Up!!!
(05-16-2012, 11:01 PM)GeorgeET Wrote:  Do not understand your comments re the filler hose. The fill end must have a center pin to push down on the valve to fill the tire.

The 90 degree valve screws onto the existing valve and pushes down the valve the valve function is now on top at the fill end.

I use one on my motorcycle when filling at gas stations with fillers that do not fit. However due to high speeds I do not leave it in place but take it off after filling up, otherwise over time it can pull the valve off. This is not a problem with bicycle.

BMW motorcycle shops have them around $10, or consider getting a pump that fits.
What end is the fill end? The end that attaches to the valve, I assume. The hose that I bought was missing this pin. In the elbow, where is the pin - at the valve end? (You've told me there is a valve at the cap end of the elbow (as seen in the picture)).
Oh boy., The knurled screws onto the existing valve and the end with the black cap on it (just like your existing valve) is the fill end. Just get a pump that works.
Never Give Up!!!
(05-18-2012, 12:06 PM)GeorgeET Wrote:  Oh boy., The knurled screws onto the existing valve and the end with the black cap on it (just like your existing valve) is the fill end. Just get a pump that works.
Hahaha. You're impatient with me. But you haven't answered the question...and if I had found a pump that worked, I would have bought one.
By the way, its OK to say that you don't know.
Thanks anyway.
(05-18-2012, 12:48 PM)louarnold Wrote:  
(05-18-2012, 12:06 PM)GeorgeET Wrote:  Oh boy., The knurled screws onto the existing valve and the end with the black cap on it (just like your existing valve) is the fill end. Just get a pump that works.
Hahaha. You're impatient with me. But you haven't answered the question...and if I had found a pump that worked, I would have bought one.
By the way, its OK to say that you don't know.
Thanks anyway.

If I understand you, the current fitting that you have does not have any way of depressing the valve to allow air in. Why would anyone make a pump like that?

In that case the fitting recommended will not work for you either.
OK I do not know what you are talking about, suggest you go to a bike store.
Never Give Up!!!
Thank you, George. You may have saved me from my reply!
At the start, Lou had me scratching my head, too. I still am.

Lou - 20-30 years ago was not that long ago for me. I'm almost 50 :-(
We had Schraeder (like on an automobile) valves and Presta ( sometimes called French) valves on bikes way back in 1991. Even in 1981! The only other valve type that was even remotely common on bicycles back then was a a Dunlap (also called a Woods) Valve. They were sometimes found on older-model wheelchairs. I seriously doubt that a childs 12" innertube would be available in any other option than Schraeder.

Let us start over. Okay? There is no 'fill end'. There is the valve on the innertube and the head on the end of the pump hose. Nothing else!
Are you with me? Good!
Most pumps made these days will do either/or. That seems to confuse many people as the pumps come from the factory set up to inflate one or the other with no Industry Standard and very vague instructions. Sometimes only a picture that makes no sense.
In order to inflate a Schraeder valve, there must be a 'pin' sticking outwards from the pump head and a large O-ring below it. To inflate a Presta, one needs to reverse the 'pin' inwards and put the smaller O-ring to the outside so it grips the valve stem to hold pressure. Make sence?
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
!0-4 to that Rob, wish I was almost 50 again. :-)))

AS per filling the childs bike. You either have to get a pump with a small head that will fit the bike or use the right angle valve extender (self explanatory) to use the modern pump with the large head that does not fit.
The screw on hoses were a bad idea and let a lot of air out while being unscrewed.
Never Give Up!!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

02-23-2010, 08:37 PM
Last Post: jr14