Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

My new hybrid upgrade
I have recently bought a new bike but I am already thinking of upgrading the whole groupset because the one thats on it is pants so I would like to know can I replace a 7 speed cassette with a 9 speed or will I have to change the hub?? I have a shimano system on the bike and will be replacing it with shimano
What groupset do you currently have?
(05-17-2012, 10:03 AM)xerxes Wrote:  What groupset do you currently have?

It's q shimano tourney but with a Sr suntour crank I'm hoping to upgrade to shimano acera is this doable
Changing from 7 to 9 speed is not so easy, they use different freehubs and the wheel might need re-dishing.

To be honest, there's very little real world advantage in having 3 x 9 gears over 3 x 7 gears. I think it has more to do with marketing than anything else. I have one bicycle with 21 gears and another with 27 and I never notice the addition of, or miss those extra 6 gears when riding either of the two bicycles.

Here's everything, and probably more, that you wanted to know about cassettes, freehubs, etc. :

http://sheldonbrown.com/speeds.html

http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html

In addition, you're unlikely to notice much difference in performance going from Tourney to Acera. In my experience, there isn't a big a difference in performance and functionality when moving up or down groupsets as the price might indicate. What you do get with the more expensive components is generally a nicer finish, and lighter weight. Also, the cheapest, bottom of the range components tend to use a lot of steel, and lower quality, bolts etc. which aren't stainless, so corrosion is more of an issue.

What is your aim with the upgrade?
In addition - it is often less expensive to replace the entire bicycle than do the supposed upgrade (which usually is not really a functional upgrade); even if you already own the tools and have the skills to do it your self.
Nigel
(05-17-2012, 08:46 AM)Bangerman32 Wrote:  ...the one thats on it is pants...

??Try that again, please. If it is a typo correct it, if it is slang please use standard terms.
(07-08-2012, 11:01 AM)cny-man Wrote:  
(05-17-2012, 08:46 AM)Bangerman32 Wrote:  ...the one thats on it is pants...

??Try that again, please. If it is a typo correct it, if it is slang please use standard terms.

English slang - meaning not so good. At least that is this American's guess.

This board is relaxed and not overly technical; people use slang here.
Nigel
Quote:English slang - meaning not so good. At least that is this American's guess.

Correct.

And in England, pants aren't what they are in the US. What you refer to as pants, we call trousers and pants are mens underwear, generally this type:

[Image: retro_y_fronts_card-p137822766170446891envwi_400.jpg]

rather than the shorts type, which we call boxer shorts, or just boxers. Smile
(07-09-2012, 07:29 AM)xerxes Wrote:  
Quote:English slang - meaning not so good. At least that is this American's guess.

Correct.

And in England, pants aren't what they are in the US. What you refer to as pants, we call trousers and pants are mens underwear, generally this type:

[Image: retro_y_fronts_card-p137822766170446891envwi_400.jpg]

rather than the shorts type, which we call boxer shorts, or just boxers. Smile

lmaooooooo that's hilarious that picture

Possibly Related Threads...