Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Rear Wheel Won't Stay Put
Sigh. You'll have to excuse my ignorance regarding bicycle repairing, chances are the solution to this problem is very simple, but I could not find a solution to my particular problem anywhere else.

Every time I push my right pedal down, the chain pulls on the cassette. The problem is, no matter how hard I tighten the wheel down, the pull is always so great that the wheel slides out of position on the right side only. This pushes the wheel against the left side of the frame, making it unrideable.

I'd venture that the problem has something to do with the rear dérailleur; it seems to somehow be "in the way" of me tightening the right nut to its fullest extent.

I hope I've made everything clear enough, and if not just say so and I'll try to elaborate!
Unless the derailleur is physically blocking the axle bolt, it shouldn't be affecting anything.
More likely, there is something wrong with the axle nut or the "drop out" (the part of the frame where the axle nut clamps down).

Is the drop out bent out of shape?
Is the axle nut stripped (can you really tighten it down or does it keep spinning)?
Does the axle nut have a flared base or a big washer with teeth on the inside?
Does the end of the axle have a good sized nut on the end of it (the part that goes inside the frame)?

You may just need a new axle nut and/or toothed washer. But a little hard to diagnose without pictures or more info.
Is the drop out bent out of shape?

I do not believe so - see the picture.

Is the axle nut stripped (can you really tighten it down or does it keep spinning)?

No, it tightens and doesn't pop loose...

Does the axle nut have a flared base or a big washer with teeth on the inside?

I believe it's a flared base type deal - again, I think the picture will make that clear.

Does the end of the axle have a good sized nut on the end of it (the part that goes inside the frame)?

Uh... I think so? Haha

One thing I forgot to mention is that the reason I'm in this mess is that I took the back apart too hastily while trying to clean the chain, without paying enough attention to how it was put together. So, chances are I've missed a part somewhere along the line... I've included a picture of the parts I haven't yet found a use for. Any ideas?
the RD is incorrectly mounted, the retaining screw and nut should be in the slot of the drop out, with the shaped inner surface mating with the sides of the slot.
This will bring the plate of the RD down and provide a full surface for the nut to lock onto, and the gap shown in your pic will longer exist.
oh, wow... interesting. Thanks!
(05-25-2012, 04:21 AM)trevgbb Wrote:  the RD is incorrectly mounted, the retaining screw and nut should be in the slot of the drop out, with the shaped inner surface mating with the sides of the slot.
This will bring the plate of the RD down and provide a full surface for the nut to lock onto, and the gap shown in your pic will longer exist.

I don't think that's the problem, the derailleur hangar looks OK to me.

My guess is that the teeth on the axle nuts are worn and are no longer "biting" into the drop-outs. Buy a new set of axle nuts with nice sharp teeth on the flared part of the nut and that should solve the problem. Don't use alloy nuts as the teeth on them are softer than the frame itself and don't bite into the drop-outs at all.

On some axle nuts the flared, toothed part is separate and spins independantly of the nut, these are probably better, like this:

[Image: HU7100.jpg]
I don't think that's the problem, the derailleur hangar looks OK to me
Sorry to disagree, xerxes, the hanger isn't the problem, its the way its fitted..
Hmmm let me add this....

http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-1813.html
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!

Possibly Related Threads...