Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Best all around tire
I bought a Raleigh Circa 2.0 for around town. It came with 26x1.95 tires 65 psi. They ride fairly smooth but they sing like a truck tire and feel like you are rolling over foam rubber. So I want a faster tire Ive been looking at the Schwalbe Big Apple, Marathon, and Kenda Kwest. In a 2.0 they are about the same or less psi but Im guessing are much faster. They are a little pricey but not excessively.
I want a fast tire that wont break my spokes/frame/body. Any other suggestions??

I also just found this tire Kenda K838 Slick Wire Bead Bicycle Tire, Blackwall, 26-Inch x 1.95-Inch
I watched myself crawlin' out as I was a-crawlin' in
Some of my bicycles
My Schwinns
If you want a general purpose tyre that can also be used off-road I really like the Schwalbe Rocket Ron. I also have this one on my cyclocross. There was a test a couple of years ago in a German bike magazine (maybe "Bike" or "Trekkingbike") where they found that some profile tyres actually rolled much better than some of the "smooth centre ridge" Schwalbe Marathons. Also note that staying close to the minimum pressure reduces rolling resistance on non-perfect surfaces, so riding with maximum pressure is not recommended. Also, wider tyres roll soother and with less resistance than the same tyre in a narrower size (same materials, same pressure). A wider tyre increases air drag, though.

Many people here have good experience with Kenda, I don't know them.
(07-02-2012, 10:24 PM)AL_BUNDY Wrote:  I want a fast tire that wont break my spokes/frame/body. Any other suggestions??

I also just found this tire Kenda K838 Slick Wire Bead Bicycle Tire, Blackwall, 26-Inch x 1.95-Inch
In a 26x 2.0"ish tire, the Schwalbe Big Apple & Marathon are heavy duty/comfort type. How much do you weigh? If you are big like me, you break things if you don't use a tire with cushion!
If you want speed around town & you're not too heavy/abusive the fastest 26x2.0" I'm aware of are the schwalbe Kojacks. They are three quarters of a pound lighter (each) than a 26x2.15 Big Apple.
[Image: l_img_kojak.gif]
The other thing to consider if weight isn't an issue is going to a 26x1.75". I find them more "nippy, nimble, quick" feeling. I'm just too big/abusive for them, at least with machine made wheels.
""How much do you weigh?"" Im about 220. I like the look of the fat tires but smaller may be an option. I like the Schwalbe reflective stripe but they are pricey and several options on the Marathon alone. The more I look the more confused I get. I will probably go for the Kenda Kwest unless I change my mind for the 47th time.

I wont be getting any thing this month. I was headed to make a deposit today and lost my wallet with $350 cash in it. Being on a $1000 a month income that hurts.

I will look into the Kojacks
I watched myself crawlin' out as I was a-crawlin' in
Some of my bicycles
My Schwinns
(07-03-2012, 08:29 PM)AL_BUNDY Wrote:  I wont be getting any thing this month. I was headed to make a deposit today and lost my wallet with $350 cash in it. Being on a $1000 a month income that hurts.
I will look into the Kojacks

Ouch!! I'm sorry to hear that.
I like Kenda - we have them on our tandem, hard easy rolling tread with a soft side wall.
Nigel
nice thread... keeping an eye on it
Looking @ that tire pic above... THAT's why they call 'em Kojaks! LOL

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post